Rock-a-hula baby


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
May 9th 2014
Published: May 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Already dressed like localsAlready dressed like localsAlready dressed like locals

The view from the street outside our hotel 10 minutes after our arrival
Dreams come true in Blue Hawaii



Aloha. What can we say about Hawaii that hasn't already been said before? The locals have 11 fingers? You can ride rats? Bare bottoms are encouraged? Ok, only the last one is true!!!



We left Washington DC on Tuesday and arrived in Honolulu on Thursday after a one night stop in LA. The time difference from Washington to Honolulu is 6 hours and for the previous three weeks we hadn't stopped. So Honolulu appeared as a bright beacon with plenty of sun, sea and se...lection of seafood for some weary travellers. And, it hasn't let us down.



Lisa has already gone through the flight details in the previous blog so after we grabbed our cab we arrived at the Aston Waikiki Circle around 3:00pm, an older hotel right on the beach. The room is cosy (read small) however it's perfect for us with a balcony overlooking the beautiful beach.



We were all starving so after dumping our bags we headed straight out for a bite of late lunch. There's a restaurant called Eggs N Stuff right on our doorstep which opens 6am to 2pm then 4pm to 10pm. As it was right on 4pm we walked straight in. Over the coming days we were to think of that occurrence as a miracle as every day we walked past, no matter what the time, there was an enormous queue waiting to get in. The site never ceased to amaze us. Especially considering that we grabbed breakfast a few times at a cafe not even 50m away that was yummy and the place was practically empty!!



We wandered around Waikiki most of the afternoon and night and returned home very tired, especially due to the time difference kicking in. We had agreed that the first two days here would be rest days so that's exactly what we did, to a point. First thing the next day we hit the laundrette. While we washed some smalls along the journey (or gone commando) our dirty washing was taking up one suitcase. It was time to get back on track before Lisa had another meltdown over it. Afterwards we hit the beach, then the water, then the beach again (don't dive into shallow water....). How good is swimming in the beautiful warm ocean in May
Beach strollBeach strollBeach stroll

With the obligatory shirt!
while our friends are freezing their arses off!! We don't like to rub it in.....but we will!!



That evening we decided to hit the seafood. We had heard about the seafood buffet at Oceanarium so thought we'd give it a go. Inside they also have a two storey aquarium full of many fish varieties.



There was a full range of food including beef, kalua pork, pastas and noodles all which we ignore as we grabbed plate upon plate of prawns and massive crab legs. We must have eaten the equivalent of about 10 crabs. Even the kids, once they had cottoned on, grabbed a heap of crab legs. Seriously, we didn't touch any other food. It was bloody brilliant!! We rolled out of there bloated masses. It was great!!



The next day we took a short trip to the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Habor. Most people would know the story of Pearl Harbor and the place is massive, there's actually five memorials there however the story of the USS Arizona is probably the saddest.



We arrived at the Harbor and walked around the many plaques and signs telling the story of what happened at Pearl Harbor, when a surprise Japanese attack killed over 3,500 people and put 21 ships, the majority of the US fleet, out of action.



During the tour we attended a short film telling the story of what led to Pearl Harbor and the actual attack itself. While the attack may still have occurred it amazed us (or maybe it didn't) that the Japanese simply snuck up and despite the US being aware of planes coming in, they just assumed that they were their own. An absolute cock up from the leaders. The film itself was heart wrenching however we then board a boat to take us to the Arizona Memorial, a fixed pontoon which sits over the sunken USS Arizona.



When the Japanese attacked, the Arizona was one of the first ships to be hit. It exploded and sank almost immediately with 1,171 deaths and only a handful of survivors. Among the dead were 38 pairs of brothers and two fathers and sons. Most of the dead remain with the ship. Looking down at the wreck it's extremely hard not to become overcome with emotion. There's a list
Nighttime swimNighttime swimNighttime swim

The girls having a dip before bed
of the dead along one wall of the memorial and it takes up the whole wall.



Looking around you start to notice how many Japanese people are at the memorial and you start to think what are their thoughts on what happened. Or more pointedly, what do the Americans think about the Japanese being there? We learned that when Pearl Harbor happened Japanese people made up 37% of the Hawaiian population. When we returned from the memorial the boat ride back was extremely quiet. An eerie experience but well worth it to pay respect to those fallen.



After another look around the Harbor we were back on the bus to Waikiki. After lunch the female Smith's decided that they hadn't done enough shopping so up the road we went to all the familiar haunts, H & M, Forever 21 et al. I also managed to grab myself a few bargains for myself at H&M. Lisa's shopping exploits must be rubbing off.



In the early afternoon our street commenced being closed for the evening's activity, Spam Jam, the only festival that we know of dedicated to that famous tinned delicacy, Spam! We
I've got crabs!!I've got crabs!!I've got crabs!!

And keep them coming
kid you not. There were many stall holders, just about every restaurant in town, which all had at least one and mostly more than one dish which included spam. Appetisers, mains, and desserts!!



I bought myself a spam burger, which was beautiful however none of the other family members were willing to give it a go. Cowards! We were surprised to learn that spam comes in about a dozen varieties, (LVS- although NONE of us were willing to try the Spam Ice-cream Sundae, luckily for the girls in the family our hotel is beside Maccy D's, Golden Arches or McDonalds for the Americans reading this, so yep that's what we had for dinner). Guess what everyone's getting for a souvenir?



After such a big day we decided that we needed another rest. So after a lazy morning and lunch the girls and I headed back to the beach while Lisa again attacked the shops (LVS gimme a break... I have only purchased 2 tops, 2 pr pj's & a couple pairs of shoes for this entire holiday. Everything else has been gifts). This time we'd bought ourselves some goggles and a snorkel each and had a great afternoon terrorising all the fish we could find. As I write this the weather is a mild low twenties and we're sitting on the balcony watching the world go by. Jealous? Good!!



To thong or not to thong....that is the question....I know that we are at the beach and it appears that anything goes when on holidays but seriously some people are clearly deluded. Note to self.......if people stop in the street to ogle, gawk or laugh at an almost naked jelly butt, cottage cheese derrière or a hairy builders crack in a Speedo then my suggestion would be to cover up...the idea that a thong is helping in this situation is probably as useful as a piece of dental floss doing the job.



The girls have seen many beautiful bodies at the beach, (both G and myself have had a chance to admire some too) but we have also seen parts (male and female) that should have been tucked away looonnnng ago.....I'm not jealous in any way shape or form. My personal thought is if you've got it, flaunt it. Otherwise do us all a favour and put it away...or at a minimum....take a look in the mirror...from behind...with your glasses on.....kapish!



The following day we decided to hire a car and cruise the Island for a day. I trekked all the way to the car hire place (next door) and got me a convertible!! A red Chevy Camaro in fact!! This was a surprise to the girls so we grabbed our gear and headed downstairs and as they started to walk off to the path, I turned and walked straight to the car. They were pretty excited I must say. Well...at least until they saw how much room there was in the back.



Everyone knows that the yanks drive on the wrong side of the road so I followed the well known piece of advice, keep your passenger in the gutter (as opposed to sleeping in there yourself...). This lasted until the first stop, a scenic lookout when upon departing I drove straight out onto the left side of the road. After that it was all good.



The views and scenery change so much as you head around the island and we were constantly saying, "Look at that," or "Look at this," etc. We stopped at a beach for a bit of a paddle and within 10 minutes knew we were out of our depth both literally and figuratively. Scarlett couldn't get past the first breaker and a few minutes later both Charlize and I decided to head back too. As we were about to head back onto the beach Scarlett realised that she had lost her snorkel (we each had a goggle and snorkel). I thought I saw it floating so went for a swim out to have a look. As I went behind a wave Scarlett couldn't see me so thought I was lost forever. The poor thing was beside herself crying. As I swam back she cried that she didn't want to lose me. God love her. As we were talking Charlize then realised that she had lost her goggles. So between us we were down a full set! At that point we all decided F&@$ this, we'll find somewhere else to swim. So in the car we go and another spot was found and it was much more relaxing, so much so that we spent most of the afternoon there until we decided we wanted to
USS ArizonaUSS ArizonaUSS Arizona

Knowing that you are looking down at the ship with so many lives lost, and still down there is very emotional.
see the rest of the Island before dark. Arrived back before 7.45 but didn't quite make the full round of the Island.



As time went on we started to head for home and encountered something we hadn't seen for a while. Rain! And it came down heavy and quick. Luckily we had enough time to put the roof of the car back up but I'm definitely not getting a sports car when I have my mid life crisis. My head just fit under the roof!



We all live in a yellow submarine...Ok, it wasn't yellow, it was white but it was a submarine. On our last full day we thought we'd go deep under the oceans surface to see what's underneath seeing as though we're now a snorkelling set short. After a lazy breakfast we boarded a bus, then a boat, then a fair dinkum submarine which was going to take us about 100ft below.



The boat stopped at the submarine and we stepped on board. Just like in the movies they opened the hatch and down we went. It was a 48 seat job with huge portholes on either side
USS BowfinUSS BowfinUSS Bowfin

Not the last sub the girls would get close to
and a driver up front. When they closed the hatch it got a bit eerie but once we started to descend we just thought we were on the Red October and starting speaking in Russian (with a hint of Scottish) accents. We went down to around 115ft and passed reefs, ship and plane wrecks with plenty of marine life. It was extremely peaceful and relaxing and we all got a kick out of it, especially the kids once they spotted a turtle or two. After an hour or so we manned stations and got ready to fire the torpedoes and...(sorry, got a little carried away there). We eventually headed back to the surface, boarded the boat and were soon back on shore. A great experience, not cheap but well worth giving it a go.



We ventured back to the hotel where Scarlett and I rested while Lisa had one last shop with Charlize. Pretty soon it was time to get ready to attend Germaines Luau. We jumped on another bus for a 40 minute journey with a very engaging and funny host and arrived on the beach ready for a show and huge meal cooked in an
Spam Jam!Spam Jam!Spam Jam!

The festival of Spam!!
Imu (a hole in the ground). It was delicious and the show was great as well or what we could see of it. A good part was blocked by some old fart as he videoed the whole show.



Now, most people know that I'm not a violent man and will only snap when I perceive injustice, feel there is injustice, or basically when I feel I need to make a point. So, very courtesly went over to this bloke and kindly asked that if he was going to video the show could he take his arm down or sit somewhere else. Well! It was as if I had just asked to sleep with his mother. He mumbled something along the lines of, "I'll see" when I explained to him that I didn't pay a goddam fortune to watch his arm and if he didn't lower it I was going to snap it off and use it to smash his camera. I think he got the message and life was good again.



At last, the show was over and we headed back on the bus for our ride home to pack our many bags with yet one last surprise in store.



The next morning waiting for our 'shuttle' bus to take us to the airport the girls were excited to see a limo pull up for our last drive in the US and what a way to end our trip. Champagne glasses in hand (empty of course as it was 7.15am) for our final photo opportunity and we are on our way to the airport for our flight.



After about a month away we have seen and done many things and will definitely return again....hopefully soon.We have travelled by boat, plane, car, taxi, golf cart, helicopter, bus, train, submarine, limo & roller coaster. We have experienced so much yet there were so many things that we didn't get to do. Our bucket list just got longer.....



Living so close to each other was interesting and frustrating at times although if we can spend three months together in a caravan, as we did on our last trip, then we can do it anywhere now. I'm pretty sure the girls appreciate what an experience this has been (they had bloody better...) and the opportunities they have had. Now to start planning & saving for the next trip....



Thanks for coming along for the ride

The Van Royce family

Xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb