Stop 1: HAWAII!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
December 23rd 2012
Published: December 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

(Writing this hung over listening to Bec’s dirty mid-90s Christmas music mix). Lets go back to our time in Hawaii; sorry it hasn’t been sooner getting this first blog out.

Hawaii: we arrived on the morning of the 19th; Vanessa and Claire having not slept a wink while spending the 9 hour flight watching Bec blissfully sleep lying down across two seats. We hated her on that flight. Due to the fact that we got in so early, we had a whole day at our disposal. After dropping off our bags at our luxury Hawaiian hotel (who needs the Outrigger and Sheraton when you have the Castle Hokele Suites with its tastefully stained mattresses and great views into a local apartment?), we headed to Victoria’s Secret for new swimmers and then hit the beach. After sunbaking in the rain for a few days we decided to struggle up Diamond Heads. Getting there was a battle and a half; two buses and a healthy walk later (we were genuinely concerned this would be another misadventure akin to trying to find/climb Mt Keira); we actually made it there with 1hr 20 to get up this thing, get down and then find a taxi to get us out before it closed. This place is kind of in the middle of nowhere/random suburbia. Bec battled exhaustion and blisters and pretty much had a heart attack making it up there. We made it to the top in 25mins at a slow jog and enjoyed spectacular views of the afternoon sun over Waikiki. Getting to the bottom and with not a taxi in sight, we asked a couple from San Fran if we could pool. Bec chose to sit in the front seat and heard all about how there are male prostitutes outside of a certain bar and the driver has dreams of being such a prostitute if only he weren’t so old. Also, he wasn’t one for smoking marijuana but preferred to inject whatever. Oh, and he is one of the leading skyscraper constructors in Hawaii. He also told Bec she was quite intellectual…



We hit the local nightlife, making friends left, right, and centre. We were going to have a sophisticated dinner at the popular restaurant Yardhouse, however Vanessa insisted we order ridiculous half-yard glasses of beer each. We did it, plus extra. We moved on to a local Irish pub where Bec spent 3hrs ploughing her way through a schooner of Guinness and Vanessa and Claire continued to drink copiously.

Luckily, we’re never in one place for too long. On to New York! Pizza for breakfast on arrival yesterday and a huge pizza for after-out dinner and now enjoying it for breakfast whilst writing this blog. We hope you will love us even if we are the size of houses when you next see us. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Wish you were all here with us (not that you would fit in our tiny studio apartment). Our next blog will be about our Christmas in New York with lovely local gal and celebrity mingler, Brooke Caldwell.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb