Festivals and Stuff.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
July 7th 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Seems like in the past few years, festivals of all types have been dominating the Honolulu Calendar Activities. Basically it was just those of certain ethnic groups who settled in Hawaii during the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, along with the indigenous Native Hawaiians who celebrated Kamehameha Day and Aloha Week. The Chinese of course with their Chinese New Years, Japanese with their Cherry Blossom Festival and O-Bon Dances during the Summer. Some celebrated quietly among their own ethnic groups but recently have made their festivals more public and welcoming to outsiders. Even small ethnic groups that may make up less than 5% of the population started celebrating in public venues and opening it to the public. Of course it didn’t hurt to have booths selling their unique cuisine or handicrafts. Among them are the Thais, American Indians, and Vietnamese.

Two newcomers are the Honolulu Festival and the Pan-Pacific Festival. Both are financed by Japan Commercial enterprises whose theme seems to be friendship between East and West. Honolulu benefits financially from these festivals also, because of the influx of tourists from Japan who partake in the festivities, but also tourists from the West who may enjoy it and come back to partake in it again or tell their friends back home of the pleasant experience.

Just about 3 weeks ago a Pan-Pacific Festival was held in Waikiki, a 3 day celebration with a evening Hoolaulea (Block Party), Entertainment local and Japanese at the Shopping Center and finally an evening parade down the streets of Waikiki. Here are photos of this event as well as various shots of the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb