Maui - day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
August 25th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to the sound of the ocean and chirping birds. It was pretty early considering what time we got there, but I think 6:30 hit and my eyes just went *bing* and I was awake.

The plan for the day was to try and have no plan. We were pretty tired, but I felt relaxed right away as it finally set in that we were now on vacation, on our honeymoon and today was our first full day. We spent most of it exploring the hotel and sitting by the pool. There are quite a few restaurants, a whole row of shops (including Macy’s - can’t get away from it), an athletic club and spa, and lots of unique things to see, like wild animals… well, birds and penguins.

They also host a luau here, so we signed up for that tonight. After getting out tickets, we stood in line with the rest of the non-VIP folks and they let eventually let everyone into the open-air theater area. It’s lined with long rows of tables everyone sits at together, because you’re getting dinner and a show. Not bad seats for us. We’re in the center pretty much, and sitting next to an Asian couple and their two kids. They’re from Great Neck (Long Island). Across from us are Leslie and Mark, a couple from San Diego who look a couple years older than us maybe. Then, next to me at the end of the table are a guy and his son Barry. I think the guy’s name was Jeff. He’s a big guy who kind of reminded me of Mark McGuire. They were all nice, and we all chatted a little bit before the show, while encouraging the waitress to bring us as many mai-tai’s as possible.

We were sitting under a tree, where there was a bird or two perched above. We know this because Leslie got pooped on, twice. Gross.

The drinks, food and show were all pretty decent. The show was a little bit corny at times. Some of the MC’s comments made it feel like a Vegas show. But it was fun. They had women from the audience get up on stage to learn a hula dance, so Jax thought about it for a moment, then decided to go up and join. I’m glad she did. That’s getting your money’s worth, I think. The show featured a lot of dancing representative of the Polynesian islands of the south Pacific and the history and lore of the Hawaiian Islands. It finished with a performer who comes out with torches and puts one in his mouth, twirls it around and all that jazz (but not necessarily in that order. It was fun to watch, and it was a good way to end the first day. Nice to not have to leave the resort.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

ChristopherChristopher
Christopher

But we like to call him "Christafuh"
penguinspenguins
penguins

they're also from Africa,
Jackie's hula lessonJackie's hula lesson
Jackie's hula lesson

exit stage left
she's a starshe's a star
she's a star

and now a hula expert
Luau 2Luau 2
Luau 2

This is Khalua, the goddess of really tasty rum ... or something like that.


11th September 2006

Hula sounds great!
Jackie and Josh, Glad Jax made it to the stage to learn how to hula dance. You never know when it may come in handy!! It sounds like a wonderful place to be! Enjoy....and we wish we were there too! Thanks for sharing with us! Love, Aunt Eileen

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb