God's Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
May 16th 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Back Wall MolokiniBack Wall MolokiniBack Wall Molokini

The backside of Molokini Crater is a 300ft drop straight down. Really clear water, and you can't see the bottom, just blue into the deep abyss.
If you've followed my blog at all, you've seen that I've been to a few places. If you know me personally, you know that I've been to quite a few more places than what has been showcased here. People are always asking me "what's your favorite place that you've been?", and, although it is difficult for me to pick one specific place as my favorite, because every place is special for different reasons, Maui is definitely still one of my absolute favorites.

Everything that I like to do for fun is available year-round. Kiteboarding, diving/free-diving, hiking, stand-up paddling, outrigger canoe paddling, etc. The beaches there are some of the nicest in the world.....THE WORLD, trust me. It has the wow-factor of faraway lands, but still has the convenience associated with being part of America.....but it's not really 'America', in my opinion.

Sure, everything is a little bit more expensive there, but, it's worth it.

If you think Hawaii is really expensive, then don't even bother going to French Polynesia--you would freak out!

As far as weather goes, there is a definite change in seasons, albeit, it occurs in a slightly less traditional manner.

The summer brings strong and reliable trade winds daily....lack of rain makes it very dry on the leeward sides....temps in the high 80s, low 90s....the big swells hit the south-facing shores....he island tends to be quite busy as many families visit during summer vacation.

The winter brings slightly cooler conditions--high 70s, low 80s...there tends to be more rain on the leeward sides...the big swells hit the north shore....and the amazing Humpback Whales frequent the area for around 4-5 months in the winter, visible from anywhere on the island. The winter

One amazing thing about the island is how many different climate zones you can find there. Think of one, and you can pretty much find it. I've seen snow there myself. There are parts of the island that are desert and get 10 inches of rain per year--there are other rainforest areas that get 400 inches of rain per year.

The people in Hawaii are amazing. Sure, you will find some bad eggs, but bad eggs exist everywhere. Overall, the spirit of Aloha exists in force.

If you make it to Maui, you will enjoy it. If you don't enjoy Maui, you won't enjoy ANYWHERE on Earth. That's a fact Jack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Swinging BridgeSwinging Bridge
Swinging Bridge

A cool little remote shack across a river stream in the middle of the jungle. I can't think of a more peaceful spot.
Kai KananiKai Kanani
Kai Kanani

I worked on this boat once upon a time.
Little BeachLittle Beach
Little Beach

A clothing optional beach--be glad that you can't see the people as you would likely gouge your own eyeballs out.
Big BeachBig Beach
Big Beach

The biggest beach on Maui. 'Big Beach' is really the name of it. Keep it simple.
PoseidonPoseidon
Poseidon

To me, the clouds looked like Poseidon coming out of the ocean, with his triton, climbing over the mountains of West Maui. Do you see it?


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb