The Valley, Coconuts, and Kihei


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
January 30th 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Iao NeedleIao NeedleIao Needle

Austin, Jenna, and I in front of the Iao Needle in the Iao Valley of Eastern Maui.
We came back from Haleakala early Friday morning and spent the rest of the day touring the Iao Valley, the lush mountain-scape comprising the eastern bulge of the island. Chris drove us there with her 10 year old daughter, Jenna, but the three of us caught a ride back with what we thought to be a soccer mom in her minivan but what turned out to be a really legit traveler. She told us stories of backpacking with her husband for a year soon after they got married, and hiking intense mountains in India and all over the world. When she learned that we were going to New Zealand, she told me to look up her brother who owns a 42' sailboat and knows all about NZ having been based out of Fiji for quite some time now. I'll have to look him up.

The next day Austin and I woke up late, ate breakfast and then went on a coconut adventure. We succeeded in not only finding some coconuts but getting them fresh out of a tree. We fashioned a very primitive spear by affixing Austin's knife to a palm frond using leaves and vines. It was a blast and we also succeeded in opening one for a coconut feast at the end of all our hard work.

Once Jenna had finished up her homework for the day, I drove the three of us to the beach in Kihei called Charlie Young. We had a blast swimming and boogie boarding and rounding out the day by watching the sunset into the ocean.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Coconut HarvestCoconut Harvest
Coconut Harvest

Me stabbing a coconut with our makeshift spear.
Coconut Harvest 2Coconut Harvest 2
Coconut Harvest 2

Austin doing the same thing.
Coconut Harvest 3Coconut Harvest 3
Coconut Harvest 3

Both of us with our delicious harvest
At the BeachAt the Beach
At the Beach

Austin and I at Charlie Young at sunset.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb