Haleakala was out!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
December 27th 2021
Published: December 28th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Monday: Haleakala!!

Well, after much mulling and checking of weather forecasts, we decided to go ahead and make this the day we drive up to the 10,000’ dormant volcano. We headed out around 9 am, and stopped at our usual whale spotting place where we did see some, and Megan and Andrew got to hike a bit. We stopped at Makawao’s famous bakery just into the foothills – it’s where the Haleakala bikers pass through from their starting point at 6500’ up the mountain (no longer allowed to leave from the Park). We counted over 100 bikers descending. A really cute bohemian town with lovely shops – but no time!
We worried about the clouds, but they stayed mostly off, and while the crater was a bit covered in wispy clouds, we got some great views, especially from the Visitor’s Center (not as high as the Summit), and Andrew and Megan both reported in as Junior Rangers. David chatted with Jerry, who had biked UP the entire way, taking 5 hours. We actually were able to see a peak of the big island, and its coastline.

David added to our lifetime birdlist with a Chukar – and they were quite used to people as you can see. On the way down we stopped at Hosmer’s Grove for a misty walk (yes, the weather was worsening, so we count ourselves very fortunate), and some more birding. David got a poor but adequate photo of the Hawaii-only apapane and some excellent ones of the ‘Ii’wi, both honey creepers who love to suck nectar from the many types of flowers in the Grove, including eucalyptus flowers.

Heather and Dario had not wanted to go on that trip, too much driving, and stayed behind exploring local coffee shops and boutiques, and scheduled a spa date. When the rest of us got home, we tried out meals at the food trucks down the way – and everything was quite delicious.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb