Fragrance of Hawaii


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Upcountry
February 9th 2019
Saved: June 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

I am reading a book about The Blind Traveler, a Lieutenant James Holman, of Her Majesty's Royal Navy. He traveled the world after he became blind. He then proceeded to write several books about travel that were better than books by authors who could see. He relied on the observations of others, and used his other tactile senses to describe famous works of art and architectural gems.



Perhaps nowhere I have been has the unique smells, or more delicately, fragrances of the Hawaiian Islands. As soon as you step off of the plane, you can smell the native flora and feel the heat and humidity, where the "air is so dewy sweet, you do not have to lick postage stamps".



They say people from the Midwest, who have never seen an ocean, smell the warm, blue salt water of the Pacific. For people who get crazy over food, the smell of Kona coffee and huli-huli chicken are their first smells. And it is distinctly different than the smells of the Indian and Atlantic Oceans.



Here is what the experts say:



What are the 5 best smells in Hawaii?


• Ahi Poke with shoyu and pepper water from Kahuku Superette. I’m talking about when it’s fresh!
• White plumeria (frangipani) flowers blooming along the Ala Wai Canal in Waikiki.
• Any of the forest trails after a hard rain.
• Korean BBQ! The smell is addicting… once you get it a couple times, your nose is always pulling you back to where you got it.
• The fresh, salty, humid air when the waves are big and the wind is strong. Makapu’u and Bellows AFS have some great air during a mildly windy 3 foot + day on Oahu.



Other smells that I can recall are:



Coconut oil

Guava, Papaya, Lilikoi (Passion Fruit)

Mango, Pineapple

Suntan Lotion

Kim Chee

Spam musubi

Saimin

Mildew

Wet Roads

Wet Sand

Penang curry

Fried rice

Chocolate macadamia nut ice cream



Feel free to add your own. I do not miss the smell of burning sugar cane fields, or seaweed drying on the white sand beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb