RIHLA #11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kihei
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

*What makes someone a hero? How do we decide which people to celebrate?

Someone is a hero if they do something heroic like save people's lives, a building from falling, or having a big impact in the world. A hero is someone who has tried hard and/or achieved to bring peace to a great part of humanity. I think we decide which people to celebrate by how much impact the person had in the world.

*Do people all agree on who should be considered a hero/saint/..etc.?

I don't think all people agree, and its only natural. As human beings, we each have individual thoghts and unique points of view. However, if the majority agree that a person should become a hero/saint/etc., then thats how people are considered to become one.

*How easy is it to tell who "good" people and heroes are during their lifetime? Why do you think opinions on Joan of Arc changed?

I think it is difficult to determine who are "good" people and heroes during their lifetime because people aren't aware of a persons impact until they are gone and time has moved on. I think opinions on Joan of Arc changed back then, she was considered a threat. But now we can see how she has risked her life to defend France and her religion.

*Is it fair to revise how we feel about historical figures based on new evidence?

I think it is fair. For example, Columbus was seen as a hero because he 'discovered America.' Even if he had, I would never consider him a hero because he murdered many because of his greed for wealth and power. Also, I think back then, only certain people were allowed to express their opinions, and those were probably people that agreed with what he was doing. But now, those who didn't have a voice before can now express their discust towards his actions.

*Honors question:

I think people from history SHOULD be held accountable for things they did. I think they did know what they were doing and some people should be considered evil, regardless if they claim they thought they did the right thing. Bringing back the example of Christopher Columbus, killing people is evil. Common sence can tell anyone that. It doesn't matter that at the time, having slaves was the 'norm' and selling them made money. He murdered and made many innocents suffer. Unless a person is trying to do the right thing, and it backfires, I think people from history are held accountable for their actions, no matter what the time period, because of simple common sence.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb