Oct 17th Blog Entry - One day before our first build day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 17th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our team started out the day by attending the 8:00am worship service at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lihue. Several of us wore our Green Bay Packers apparel today and there’s no doubt we stood out a little as all 16 of us walked in and sat down for service. We were warmly welcomed by the congregation and Rev. Dr. Paul Kirchner.

To interject a little church humor, and to make note of our Green Bay Packers apparel, one parishioner introduced himself to me (Greg), leaned over and said, “Ya know, we were thinking of ending the service with the song ‘What a Friend We Have in Cheeseheads’” (the original is ‘What a Friend We Have in Jesus”). 😊

During service, we were introduced to Kurt Javinar, who graciously offered to take us hiking and sightseeing into Waimea Caynon for the day. Right after service, we spent some time talking with many of the parishioners, said our good byes, and then headed back to our cabins to get ready for Waimea Caynon. We had some issues getting vehicle transportation for the ride up to the canyon, but no worries...the church offered to let our team use their small school bus for the day.

The hiking into Waimea Caynon was amazing! Pictures just don’t do it justice. We hiked for about 2 - 3 miles over moderate terrain on the Pu’u o Kila trail, stopping several times to just enjoy the views. Kurt was an amazing tour guide. It was a great day!

To keep this as short as possible, (and you’ll have to ask for more details from your respective team members), during our day we encountered a total of 3 flat tires (1 leak, 2 blow outs) with the church bus we used - the first one on the way our out to the canyon, the other two on our way back. Seriously, ask to hear more about this. Even though we faced these challenges, our team made the best of it. More team bonding time....and it's funny how God works....with each tire dilemma we met a few more locals and during our "wait time". They definitely seemed interested in our mission.

Tomorrow, we start our first day on the build.

P.S. Another little tidbit to share, around here, you really don't need alarm clocks. Each morning, around 4am or so, we are awoken up with free roaming chickens "singing" Good morning, Get Up. Cock A Doodle Doo's galore! 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



19th October 2010

Taste Like Chicken?!
Thanks for the blog update, Greg! I can tell you're all having fun, and kudos to everyone for being so FLEXIBLE!!! (Right, Terry?!) Blessings to you all as angels keep watch over you on your adventures!
20th October 2010

May God Bless your trip
Congratulations to all for volunteering for this noble effort. It sounds like you've had a fun and interesting voyage so far. That's OK! and makes for great stories and, in Greg's words, bonding experiences. I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip. Some of the best times I've had were on the HFH trips and I hope the same for you. God's Blessings to all of you.
20th October 2010
Team at Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lihue

Dzien dobry Terry
Hey Cheesehead, Will your plastering skills be useful in Hawaii? You and your walls were lookin' great on the Poland CD. Have a fabulous time and stay safe. Hope our paths cross again. You were a wonderful team mate. Sue
22nd October 2010
Team at Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lihue

Beautiful
What a good looking bunch of people,most of all a devoted group.Your all in our Hearts,and Prayers Keep doing the work of the Lord Love to all. Mom & Dad

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb