Kauai, My Happy Place


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kapaa
February 21st 2022
Published: February 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Kauai is probably just about everyone's happy place if you have been here. Many people I know do not venture much beyond the madness of Waki Waki (Waikiki Beach in Honolulu), and the increasingly mad and bustling island of Maui.


But Kauai has always been special for us, since our first visit together, over twenty-five years ago. Why? We met our dear friends, Rey, and Corinne during a round of golf at Princeville, on the north side of this small island paradise. While I do not remember much about that round of golf, save for a birdie here and there, we made lifelong friends.



Quite unusual in that both are natives of the island, as are their parents and family. Over the years, we have enjoyed many meals, rounds of golf, social activities, and family outings. But there is one thing that stands out about Rey and Corinne after all these years. They are just fantastic people!



Another unique part of Kauai is that everyone on the island knows everyone else. And of course, we can hardly go anywhere without running into one of their friends or family. I even ran into a fellow at the Padres-Giants game, who brought his Little League team to San Diego. Of course, he knew Rey!



So, along with the great scenery and peaceful vibe of the island, our friends make the island feel like home. I think that is the best way to describe the feeling we have when we visit. And it is our happy place!!!! Thank you, Rey, and Corinne!



As many of you have read, the state of Hawaii had some severe and unique weather with the recent Tongan tsunamis and heavy rainfall. Along with lots of snow and wind on Haleakala, Maui, the other islands had winds well over 100 mph, some flooding, downed trees, and power poles. Some flights were diverted. But nothing compared to Hurricane Iniki some decades ago.



Two of our favorite activities are visiting the Kauai Cookie factory store, and the ever-prospering Kauai Coffee plantation. We enjoy some of the flavored coffees, often adding a teaspoon or two to our regular coffee, Peet's French Roast. Both places are fun to visit, and somewhat off the beaten path. The Kauai Cookie factory stores often has hidden "treasures" among their goods, including cookies that are very difficult to find elsewhere.



Another favorite is Hamura Saimin, for the noodles, the meat skewers, and the lilikoi pie!



We plan to see our dear friend Estee one morning at breakfast. We have known her for over twenty years as well, and what a delightful young lady.



They have free bicycles to use here, so I will head out later today and tomorrow, mostly to work off the great food consumed here. Or maybe to build up an appetite for more?



We have no schedule. Isn't that just the best!



See you manana, and aloha for now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb