Big Island Hawaii - Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Kailua-Kona
December 8th 2015
Published: December 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Got up and going after G had had a surf.

Traveled south in search of Captain Cook's last resting point. We actually didn't get there. The road was closed off. But we went to the bay he arrived in. Gorgeous scenery.. We then went on a random road and ended up at some historic site (technical term huh?)

Taj : Look Mum, I am holding a big lava rock

Kai : Look I have one too...

Mum : Hold on Kai, what's that! Yours has poo on it!!!

(Only Kai could find the ONE rock on the beach that someone has pooed on!!)



We had a stroll, boys had a swim & looked around and then took off to find food.

We had lunch at Sam Choys - a typical Hawaiian restaurant with a bit of an Asian feel. The view from this restaurant was amazing and the food!!! Oh my god!!! I had a fish salad for $14 and it was amazing!!!! The dressing was a wasabi sesame mix and to die for. This guy - Sam Choy has been featured on Iron Chef! I'll be trying to recreate when I get home!!

After this we headed North in search of a swim / surf. A lot of the beaches are black lava and very rocky, but we found one after definitely NOT taking the hire car off road!! The boys had a body board and G and I lazed for a while.

We then headed back to the room as the boys had been promised Bubba Gumps. Dad had a little kip and then after a shower and quick pack we were off.

Bubbas never disappoints.. Kids entertained, decent food, not to badly priced and I can't help but still find Forrest pretty damned cool.

Home for bed, up early in the morn for our flight back to O'ahu.

TOP 3 - we always make the boys do this on any holiday - here we go for the Big Island..

Taj top 3
Helicopter - seeing the lava and just the trip
Zip Line - the views
Lava tubes and volcano national park - with Ken

Kai top 3
Zip Line - having the courage to do it and having fun
Helicopter - seeing the volcanoes
Spending time with the family.
Meeting Eric! Well for 5 seconds anyway.

Dad Top 3
Helicopter ride - how close we were to the lava and volcanoes
Volcano national park and Ken - learning more about the area
Looking at the countryside - changing from desert to rainforest in a one hour drive.

Mum top 3
Stopping and not thinking about work!
Zip line - conquering my fears. Was so scared but fine towards the end.
Countryside in general. Both driving and from the air - absolutely amazing!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb