HAWAIIAN LAVA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Hilo
April 14th 2012
Published: February 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Aloha,



April 2012.

Last cruse before ending on the my 3rd contract with Celebrity Cruises onboard sweet Century.

Port of call - Hilo, The Big Island of Hawaii.

Before visiting Big Island, I had never thought of it as a quintessential destination. For some reason, tropical islands always seem so small and compact in my head. We were party of four, the Balkan gang again (Lana, Ante, Vedran and myself). As soon we walk out from the ship none of us was sure what exactly to do. The mega attraction on Big Island is Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii's sole World Heritage Site. Another misconception I had in my head was that Hawaii, The bIg Island would be pretty much beaches and palm tress all around. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out the destination is home to all the world climate zones aside for temperature snow forest and polar ice cap, meaning you'll find many contrasting landscapes as you drive.

We were quite curious about this place so we hire a cab to bring us there.The cab guy was very pleasant, very knowledgeable about the area, and the science and the history of
Volcano caveVolcano caveVolcano cave

Entering what seemed like a Disney-created rainforest...
the volcanoes and surrounding terrain. It was very nice to have our own personal guide. He propose us "Hop On - Hop Off" kind of tour and did a remarkable job of showing a large part around the Hilo side of the Big Island."Prepare for a long, but exiting day of exploring"- he said. Waterfalls, volcanoes, lava tubes, caves and japanese gardens all in one day out. Wow, what a day.

To visit Volcano National Park is to make a pilgrimage to the ongoing birthplace of Hawaii. The island chain is consistently evolving , in part thanks to the two active volcanoes held within the park. The gently sloping Muana Lao makes up over half of The Big Island's landmark, while Kilaeuae draw visitors from far and wide as the world's youngest and most active volcano.

Our first stop was to head to the Kilauea Visitor Center to plan our day. Cheerful park rangers handed out maps, answered questions. Kilauea Volcano continues to blow its top and spout molten lava, ash and steam.

Crater Rim Drive is a spectacular driving route, striking the rim of the caldera, stopping at lookouts and taking you from rainforest to desert.

As the park never closes, you can visit any time throughout the night — and likely have the view to yourself.
Me and the guys capture the moment of ourself jumping out the cliff with a marvelous view over the volcano area.

Our next destination was Thurston Lava Tube which is a long hollow cave-like formation, created by flowing lava. Entering what seemed like a Disney-created rainforest, we soon came upon an oversized lava tube tricked out with walkways and safety lightning. Feeling adventurous, we were looking forward to exploring the tube's until extension, but sadly were met by a Do Not Enter sign. The next trail destinations was Pu'u Pua'i Overlook, which provides generous views into Kilauea Iki Crater.

Another surprise on our tip was Lili'uokalini Gardens. We run out to the park and start rolling over the grass. I refresh my childhood memories.This Japanese garden in the center of Hilo is simply beautiful. Great Layout with wandering paths, bridges and fantastic photo locations. Huge, amazing trees. Nice spot right by the ocean with a great view of the bay. it's free, it's beautiful and it's easy to get to. What is not to love?

Our last stop of the day was to go waterfall chasing. We set to Rainbow Falls and we were off… The Hawaiian

Taking a walk through Thurston Lava Tube in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a unique experience.
name of this beautiful waterfall is "Waianuenue", meaning "rainbow seen in water". The lookout points offers a terrific view of the 80-foot plunge waterfall. The taxi guide took a fantastic photo from all of us, capturing the iconic moment as we were drinking straight from the waterfall. Just amazing! This road trip could end any better!

My road trip through Big Island was a fantastic mix of adventure and scenic drives, and I would highly recommend the above itinerary to anyone wanting to experience the best offerings of the island. Perhaps of all the features that mark the Big Island's landscape the Kilauea Volcano and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is the most exiting and dynamic!

This is a must see! Hearing or reading about is not same…you have to experience for yourself!



'Mahalo" to the personalized tourist guide and my fellow company.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Arriving at Kilauea Visitor Center.


Kilauea draws visitors from far and wide as the world’s youngest and most active volcano.


Life has returned to the area, which is now equal parts lush and starkly beautiful.


The park is over 333,000 acres and offers almost infinite opportunities for exploring.
Japanese style!Japanese style!
Japanese style!

Ante on the left side next to Lana, and Vedran right next to me.


Japanese garden in the center of Hilo is simply beautiful.


The lookout points offers a terrific view of the 80-foot plunge waterfall.
Balkans Balkans
Balkans

'Mahalo" to the personalized tourist guide and my fellow company.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb