Savannah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia
April 18th 2010
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

AzaleasAzaleasAzaleas

The azaleas are absolutely beautiful throughout the city.
This is a very brief background on Savannah. There was of course a lot more history, including the time of the American Revolution.
James Edward Oglethorpe arrived with a group of 114 settlers from England in February, 1733. They were to establish the Colony of Georgia (named for King George.) They arrived in Beaufort, South Carolina then travelled 18 miles up the Savannah River to what is now known as Savannah. General Oglethorpe brought with him the city plan, which laid out a city in a perfect grid pattern with individual lots provided to the colonists and additional space provided for public buildings.
England’s reasons for establishing the colony were varied and included providing relief to the debtors of England and removing the poor so that England wouldn’t have to support them. The Colony would also provide a buffer to protect South Carolina from the Spaniards in Florida.
The original Georgia Charter was issued on June 8th, 1772 and names the desperately poor as proper colonists who because of misfortune had been unable to support themselves or their families.
I absolutely fell in love with Savannah. I took a guided trolley tour and was allowed to jump on and off at
SquaresSquaresSquares

The City of Savannah was planned around 24 different Squares. You can actually walk from square to square and find beautifully relaxing park areas with grass, seats and lovely shrubs.
will. I enjoyed every minute. Early April is a wonderful time of year to visit this part of the world. All the trees are blooming and the azaleas are beyond beautiful.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BuildingsBuildings
Buildings

The old buildings are in beautiful condition.
BellBell
Bell

Before radio or TV this bell would be rung to advise residents of an incoming storm. e.g. one ring would be just a thunderstorm.
City HallCity Hall
City Hall

According to the guide, the dome of the City Hall is covered with 23 ct. gold. I have never heard of 23 ct. but ..... it is beautiful!
Warf Warf
Warf

The warf is paved with cobblestones that were used as balast on the ships coming from England. Various goods were substituted on the return trip
WallWall
Wall

This wall and steps reminded me of parts of Leek
PavementPavement
Pavement

Cobblestones and coquina side by side
Paddle SteamerPaddle Steamer
Paddle Steamer

Long ago the paddle steamer was the only mode of transport up and down the river system in the U.S. You can still take a trip on one down the Savannah River
Waving GirlWaving Girl
Waving Girl

This poor young waving woman became an old waving woman; she waved at every ship coming into harbour for almost 50 years hoping that her "love" was coming back to her.
HumourHumour
Humour

You have to appreciate the humour of this place owned by a married couple. He has the cigars she has the t-shirts etc.


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb