Baggs Creek to Blue Mtn Shelter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia
April 28th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night was the worst rain we have had on the trail to date. CC and I both were happy that it was only wind and rain with no thunder and lightining. Still felt bad and only had granola bar for breakfast, CC didn't mind as all she wanted to do was start walking and warm up. Started feeling better by lunch and we decided to stop at Low Gap Shelter for the supper we didn't eat last night and dry our gear as the sun had come up with a nice breeze.
Walking into the shelter area, we were greeted by a barking dog. A young man call to it bringing it under control. The shelter seemed a bit short of gear, but the man seemed OK. We introduced ourselves and went about our tasks. The tent was washed in the creek and hung from the bear cables and lunch was on the stove when we started to talk with the young man. His story was long and had missing chunks. He had the least amount of gear we have seen anyone carry on the trail to date. A day pack, one gallon water jug, five pounds of rice, some jerky and breakfast bars, no sleeping bag or mat, a dog and an emergency maylar blanket, folding bowsaw and a slingshot.. I called him "Minimum Man." After everything dried and our lunch was done we packed up and headed North again.
Another long day of 13.6 miles ending at the Blue Mtn Shelter, 3,970' elevation. The wind was brisk ant the temp was dropping quickly. After the big lunch, supper was just oatmeal. Some quick shelter talk with a German couple section hiking and it was off to bed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb