Savannah Unfolds


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
December 31st 2013
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Savannah Unfolds


This is a photo journal of our sightseeing around Savannah on NYE. After all we saw I still feel like there is much more of Savannah to discover. We will definitely be back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Johnson SquareJohnson Square
Johnson Square

It was chilly this morning when we left our hotel. We walked up Bay Street and took a right at City Hall. Savannah has twenty four squares, parks of different sizes with historical monuments and trees. The first we decided to visit was of course Johnson Square.
Johnson SquareJohnson Square
Johnson Square

Johnson Square is at the corner of Bull and St. Julian Street. It is one of the first squares ever built an Savannah and is named in honor of Robert Johnson, a close friend of Georgia colony founder James Oglethorpe.
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'

We wanted to eat lunch at Mrs. Wilkes' dining room on W. Jones Street. On the way we couldn't help but stop to take pictures of the beautiful houses that line the streets in Savannah's' historic district.
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'

We found Mrs. Wilkes'. We had heard that the line for lunch begins around 9 am, so when we arrived at 10 and saw no line it was not a good sign. Unfortunately Mrs. Wilkes had decided to take a vacation, so the kitchen was closed. We will definitely try again on our next trip to Savannah.
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes' Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'
Journey to Mrs. Wilkes'

The architecture along the way to Mrs. Wilkes' did not disappoint. Many entryways we saw were elevated above the ground and could be reached only by a beautiful staircase such as this.
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

Forsyth Park is just a short walk from Jones Street. This is the view of the large oak that greets you as you enter from the Northwest corner at Gaston and Whitaker.
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

This was at about 10 in the morning. The sun shines at the right angle to light up the grassy floor of the park while at the same time casting dramatic shadows of the tall trees.
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

This end of the park was not crowded on a Monday morning, so we experimented with the new wide angle lens on my iPhone to get this pic.
Candler OakCandler Oak
Candler Oak

The Candler Oak tree is thought to be about 300 years old. It is protected by a conservation easement, and is cared for regularly by the Savannah Tree Foundation.
Savannah Architectural DetailSavannah Architectural Detail
Savannah Architectural Detail

Nothing is Savannah is plain. This is from a gated entryway along a narrow street.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb