Savannah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
July 1st 2022
Published: July 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Savannah in the late afternoon. Our first stop was Top Deck a rooftop bar overlooking the river. The tour boats were heading out for dinner cruises. The day was warm and it was hot. Our next rooftop bar (we were working off a best rooftop bars in Savannah list) was Churchills. It is a British Pub as you can tell by the name. The outdoor terrace was relaxing and green with many plants. Since we had a bike ride on Sullivan Island and a drive from Charleston we were ready for a early night.

Today we went across the street from our hotel and signed up with a hop on and off trolley. We decided to enjoy the entire 1 1/2 hour tour then get off on our second time around. The tour guide was informative and funny. At four stops actors got on the trolley in costume and introduced themselves to us. Our favorite actors were the bootlegger and the woman who played Juliette Gordon Low, she founded the Girl Scouts in Savannah in 1912. We had rain and thunder so we stayed dry in the trolley. We learned that Savannah was founded by General James Oglethorpe sent by King George II to create a buffer south of the Savannah River to protect the Carolinas from the Spanish and French. Oglethorpe brought people who faced debtor’s prison and others to found his city. He also brought a plan of wards. Each ward had a central park, 22 within the one mile by one mile city. Each ward inhabitants were organized into military units and the parks were the gathering place for the militia. The Hamilton Turner house on Lafayette Square is said to be the inspiration Walt Disney used to design the Haunted Mansion. He was spotted drawing the house multiple times. The Hamilton Turner house was the first house to have electricity. People would sit in the park and watch the house waiting for the inhabitants to turn on the lights.

After the tour we went to happy hour at McDonough a local dive bar with cheap drinks. I don’t recommend drinking here the place was dirty, the beer was served in plastic cups and no atmosphere. Sorry Charlies also had happy hour with $1.00 oysters and $5 champagne. The oysters were much larger than the ones in California due to the warmer waters. The outdoor seating was nice and I would recommend a stop here. After drinks we walked around the city. A must see is a visit to the Riverside Power lobby. It was a power plant but now has shops, restaurants and great exhibits. It is free to see the dinosaur bones, beautiful amethyst and other interesting exhibits. It is located next to the JW Marriott on the Riverside.

We all loved Savanna, it is a walkable city with so many parks to enjoy people watching or reading. It is not a destination with lots of activities but a place to slow down and enjoy the atmosphere. The climate means the trees are always green and there is always some flowers blooming. We all agree we would like to return to Savannah some day. Next stop a short visit to St Augustine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb