Charleston


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Today is the first day of our road trip from Charleston to Fort Lauderdale. We started our trip in Kansas City with a two week visit with Rachel, Chris and Lyla. We flew Southwest from Kansas City to Charleston and the flight went well. We arrived and waited a long time for our luggage. Then we waited even longer for our rental car. We checked into our hotel the Marriott Courtyard in the historic district. We were hungry so we headed out looking for food. We found a pub near the port located in a 200 year old building. We enjoyed a beer and cod sandwiches. After eating we walked through the historic district until it was time to head back to the airport to pick up Christopher and Brad. The boys flew from Oakland. After leaving their bags at the hotel the boys headed out to explore, eat and drink. We hit the grocery store and took it easy at the hotel.

We signed up for a harbor tour and a plantation tour. The harbor was walking distance from our hotel. The boat was large and full but we found seats outside. The tour was narrated and we learned a lot about the history of Charleston. We saw dolphins, Navy ships, Fort Moultrie, Fort Johnson, Fort Sumter and Sullivan Island. The American Civil war’s first shots fired were shot from Fort Sumter. It was a beautiful day for a boat tour. After the tour we went to Amen Street Raw Bar. i had the shrimp, sausage and grits. It was one of the best lunches I have ever had.



After lunch we went to Boone Plantation in Mt Pleasant about 25 minutes outside of Charleston. The plantation was founded in 1681 by an Englishman, Admission includes a tour of the Big House, a tractor tour, a black history exhibit, slave quarter, garden tour and talks by volunteers. The property is beautiful but it was so sad to hear about the lives and deaths of the slaves, Charleston was the first state to separate from the Union and was a strong supporter of slavery.

On our way back to Charleston we stopped for beers at Edmunds Oast. They have a nice outdoor seating area and sell beer, wine, tropical drinks and food. Our next stop was Bay Street Biergarten. They also have a nice outdoor patio. We finished the evening with a walk along the waterfront.

We checked out of our room and drive to Sherman Island across the bay from Charleston. We rented bikes and rode around the flat island. We stopped at Fort Moultrie, a volunteer guide stopped to talk with us. He gave us the history of the fort. Brad and Christopher went for a dip in the warm water. We rode by many large beautiful houses, many located on the beach.

After our bike ride we had lunch at the Obstinate Daughter. I had the delicious Fragmore Chowder with shrimp, sausage, corn and peas. Such great food options. Now we are on our way to Savanna.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb