Oktoberfest in Alpine Helen, Georgia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Helen
October 7th 2010
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Fall is in the air and we have one last camping trip planned for the year. We discovered Unicoi State Park by chance in the summer of 2009. The rolling hills and scenic beauty made us fall in love with the area. Additionally, we discovered the Alpine village of Helen to be the most quaint and charming town in North Georgia. We knew then and there that we wanted to return in the fall to see the beauty of the colorful leaves and to experience Oktoberfest!

We had a wonderful time last year and even made some friends while camping in the park. We are returning again this year and meeting up with our camping friends we met there last year for a fun filled weekend. Oh and did I mention Oktoberfest?! Yes, the town of Helen lights up and is a bustling beehive of activity each October. I am looking forward to doing an enthusiastic version of the chicken dance this year!

Can't wait!

October 18, 2010

Well, Helen did not disappoint us this year! The weather was incredible, sunshine, comfortable temperatures in the 70's and beautiful fall scenery.

We pitched our tent at Unicoi State Park and this was our hub. This particular state park offers so much for those who enjoy the outdoors. Travelers will find hiking, canoeing, fishing, tent and RV camping, rental cabins and a lodge. Unicoi is conveniently located close to the Alpine village of Helen and those who enjoy a nice walk through the woods can hike the trail into town.

Once in Helen, there is an abundance of things to do. Stroll along the main street and take in the many specialty shops or stop for a nice meal along the way. There are some wonderful restaurants such as Paul's or the Cafe International that sit right on the Chattahoochee River. The village is bustling this time of year in celebration of Oktoberfest. Enjoy a horse carriage ride through the town, or stop to enjoy the sound of the oompah. If you are a motorcycle enthusiast, this is your town. Helen is often rumbling with the sound of Harleys and welcomes the many bikers who make the trip.

We couldn't have asked for a more picture perfect weekend in the North Georgia Mountains. Our camping experience at Unicoi did not disappoint!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb