Civil war Navy and Little Grand Canyon GA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Columbus
January 9th 2010
Published: January 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Georgia



January 9, 2010, Saturday We left FDR, SP and traveled south to Columbus, GA, to the Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus GA. Major themes of the Navy’s involvement in the Civil War were depicted. It was surprising how important the Navy was in the Civil War. One thinks of battlefields, however, with few roads, the waterways were vital for commerce and supplies. The Union’s Blockade, named “The Anaconda”, successfully choked the south by cutting off supplies. The huge display of Ironclad Ships (the remains), an animated film, and a naval time-line… which tells the chronological story of the Civil War and how the Navy was so vital, the Civil War Naval Flag Display, etc. all contribute to a good place for a school field trip.
Our next stop… going south, was Providence Canyon SP, “Georgia’s Little Grand Canyon”. We followed the Loop Trail around the canyon. The hike, from the Interpretative Center, took us down to the floor of the canyon, then up, up along the Rim. The canyon with Georgia’s Red Clay …shows many lovely vistas. The day was brisk and sunny… but just grand! Lots of photos, hope you enjoy them.
Providence SP is does not have a campground, so we drove to Florence Marina SP, nearby for the night.

January 10, 2010, Sunday Thomasville, GA was our destination, from Florence Marina SP, we hoped to see the old Victorian Homes. However this being Sunday, no Visitor Center… so we just walked and enjoyed the old well restored town of Thomasville.
We drove to Seminole SP at the southwest corner of GA. It is still cold in the SOUTH, but we managed a short walk along the Chattahoochee River.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Civil war naval flags Civil war naval flags
Civil war naval flags

This is the best collection of flags


Tot: 0.509s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 41; qc: 191; dbt: 0.1367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb