Camping in Florida State Parks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 11th 2010
Published: January 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Georgia to Florida


I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. ~Caskie Stinnett



WEB SITES click on the blue letters tp learn more
Florida State Parks



January 11, 2010, Monday There is no way across the Chattahoochee, so we need to backtrack in order to get into Tallahassee, FL. We visited the Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic Site. My guess is… not many people visit this place. It is in an isolated area and not much info when one arrives.
We decided on a private campground Tallahassee RV so we could use the laundry room… and the internet …and the cable….such luxuries!!

January 12, 2010, Tuesday We are beginning an experiment…visiting and using FL State Parks to evaluate: 1.) Environment, can we bike or hike inside he park; 2.) Showers and services in the park; 3.) Access to local events by bike and; 4.) Overall desire to return or NOT, this is a bit selfish but we will probably be back here in the winter and these are our objectives. We did this a few years back… testing SP’s in the FL Keys, it was helpful for the following year’s planning… knowing how and where to stay. Beach SP’s are very popular and can be reserved 11 months ahead. This required some persistence but we found it to be successful.
We are traveling east and decided to spend the night at O’Leno SP. It is known as “Lay-Back O’Leno” it is quiet and has some nice hiking trails. One of Florida’s first State Parks. O’Leno was developed by the CCC in the 1930’s, so it is old, it is one of the cheapest SP’s in FL.. Hikes here start at the suspension bridge so we followed the Santa Fe River a tributary of the Suwannee River, it was a pleasant hike well marked.
The days are getting warmer; it was 58 degrees today!! Quiet, peaceful, clean and natural…what else do we need? It has clean restrooms and a very pleasant campground host. However, it is not the place we want to stay for a long period of time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st January 2010

Natural Bridge
I remember having the same feeling about visiting Natural Bridge, not many people and did not seem to be marked much to attract you there.
22nd January 2010

Visit Us if you get to Ft. Lauderdale
Hi, Please call if you get to Lauderdale. We live on the ocean. 4280 Galt Ocean Drive. 9F South of Commercial Blvd about 3/4 mile. Phone 954-566-6946 cell 412-414-6206 Eileen and Martin Our children are coming Jan. 24 to 31 . You can stay after the 1st.

Tot: 0.718s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 39; qc: 195; dbt: 0.2588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb