On our way out of Memphis we drove over to see the home of Elvis. What I like about this photo is how you can see Jackie in the mirror. She was a good cameraman on this trip.
Tuesday afternoon, May 22nd.
We are back in Atlanta. Wow, what a trip! THE GREAT AMERICAN ROAD TRIP aka THE WINE, BEER & BOURBON ROAD TRIP.
Our last leg was also the longest at 380 miles. As we departed Memphis, we made the mandatory drive to see Graceland. We decided that we were just too worn out to do the tour. So, we could not see much of the mansion. But we did see his airplanes which were on display across the road.
There was not much else to report except that we drove I-22 in north-west Alabama for the first time. I thought the countryside along the road was beautiful.
I would like to wrap up our trip with some statistics. States & Nights
: 11 States & 16 nights/17 days:
GA-Start: TN-1, KY-1, OH-2, IN-1, Mi-6, WI-1, IL-1, MO-2, AR-0, TN-1, AL-0, GA-Finish (PS. All but one of these states voted Trump. Can you guess which one?) Highpoint's & Surprises
• Maker's Mark distillery & nearby rackhouses
• Cincinnati- suburbs, Covington & Newport & Reds game
• War Museum in Indianapolis
• Kentucky Derby tour
• Trump political rally in Elkhart, IN
• Beauty of Lake
Jackie my travel mate
Yes, this photo captures how my bride stayed sane during the long drives. We did the USA Today crossword each day.
• Old Baldy Sand Dune
• Watervale Inn/Friends
• Five-mile Bridge into St. Ignace, Michigan
• The Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island
• The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
• Port Washington, Wisconsin
• Chicago Architectural River Tour
• Oak Brook/Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse/Friends
• Route 66
• Apple Creek Vineyard & Winery
• Gateway Arch
• Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour
• Rice fields & drive through Arkansas
• The Flight Restaurant & Wine Bar, Memphis/family dinner Friends & family met along the way
• Sharon & Charlie Trense
• Susan & Brad Corbin
• Josh Dorsey, nephew Mileage:
3266 miles with 25.8MPG Total costs
(hotels, gasoline, events & food): $5k+ Bourbon/Wine/Beer:
Purchased three bottles of Maker's Mark, and five bottles of wine and we drank a few beers, even Jackie. Elevation and Location (North to South)
• Marquette MI: 755ft, 46.5N, 87.4W
• Pictured Rocks, MI: 603ft, 46.4N, 86.6W
• Mackinac Island, MI: 601ft, 45.8N, 84.6W
• Port Washington, WI: 595ft, 43.4N, 87.9W
• Chicago, IL: 586ft, 41.9N, 87.6W
• St. Louis, MO: 480ft, 38.6N, 90.2W
• Cape Girardeau: 401ft, 37.3N, 89.6W
• Memphis, TN: 249ft, 35.1N, 90.1W
• Atlanta, GA: 1121ft, 33.9N, 84.3W
We had three days above the 1/2-way to the North Pole location (45.0N). Looking at the elevations,
Alabama State Sign
Sweet home Alabama! It was mine from '64 to '69 while at Auburn University.
it appears that the country slopes downhill from Marquette to Memphis. St. Louis was the most Western and Mackinac Island ties Atlanta for most Eastern. Fitbit Steps:
Tom: Had seven days over 10k steps with the max at 15,700 on May 13 after climbing Old Baldy in Arcadia.
Jackie: Had six days over 10k steps with the max at 13,500 on May 13.
Stay tune friends/family for our next trip....Cuba in two weeks. Until then, good day.
Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.012s; 1; m:saturn w:www (22.214.171.124); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.4mb