KOA Encore RV Park, Pine Island, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pine Island
January 28th 2010
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We're about to leave Pine Island to head for Turtle Beach on Siesta Key in the Sarasota area. There was a time, perhaps when our idea of "camping" was a tent on an island in northern Lake George, when we (I) snobbishly dismissed KOA's as "commercial," crowded, and generally unappealing. Well that erroneous aversion has come 360 for us now that we are in our 5th year of winter RV "camping!" The term itself is a little misleading as our "camper," a 34' Holiday Vacationer Motor Home, has a few luxuries not found in a tent. There's a queen size bed two TVs, full kitchen, room for guests to sleep over, air conditioner and a furnace. We return to the Pine Island KOA twice a year; storing the RV and Jeep right here when we fly home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Storage can be a big expense; but at this KOA the price is right ($1 a day). The pool and hot tub are great. The staff is accommodating. There's a convenient camp store, great laundry, and two club houses where there's breakfast for $3., exercise class, social nights with pot lucks, bingo, entertainment by the resident campers' own band, "The Last Resort," and more. We took the park's free mini bus to have dinner and hear "The Last Resort” at one of our favorite watering holes, "Woody's Waterside" when our Jeep was in for repairs. A "Propane" tank truck" comes around at intervals playing a tune similar to the Good Humor Ice Cream truck's jingle. You meet nice people at the pool - like the lady from Michigan who invited me for lunch (TexMex under $6 - including a Margarita at the VFW). We dropped in at the beautiful Pine Island Library for a lively book discussion after lunch. Pine Island has wonderful restaurants, art galleries, events (including Art Night) and a newly discovered thrift shop where I spend under $3.50 on 2 cool items. And, according to the Pine Island Eagle, a newsy weekly newspaper and source for everything local like last weekend's October Fest in January at the Elks Club and an Italian Fest at the German Club, who's running for office, a full listing of where the various bands are playing, directions to all the fund raisers, and what's on the menu at the Elks, Moose, VFW, Legion, etc. We seem to be going native!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Matlacha from the AirMatlacha from the Air
Matlacha from the Air

Pine Island has NO stop lights. there is one four-way stop sign at the very center of the island. The municipalities consist of Matlacha (the colorful arty town that everyone HAS to go through to get on the island. St. James City is to the left at the four way stop. Bokeelia is to the right. The island is less than 16 miles from tip to tip.
Charley at Mardi Gras Night at Woody's WatersideCharley at Mardi Gras Night at Woody's Waterside
Charley at Mardi Gras Night at Woody's Waterside

Every Monday is Mardi Gras Night at Woody's with Charlie Kutcher as the solo act. On our last visit, Charlie had us sing along with him as he recorded "Every body must get stoned!" LIVE for his next album.
Men and Dogs GatherMen and Dogs Gather
Men and Dogs Gather

A little "trouble" is a great socializer! We noticed water coming in during the torrential rain the other day - the "canopy/awning" over the bedroom slide had come detached from the RV. All fixed thanks to this man; urged on by the spectators.
Cool Home Made Floating Cocktail Party BoatCool Home Made Floating Cocktail Party Boat
Cool Home Made Floating Cocktail Party Boat

This interesting boat was docked at Micelli's, Matlacha, while the captain, mate and 2 other couples tied up there for dinner. This was our first time at Micelli's, which used to be in Fort Myers Beach. Our delicious meal was great and GREAT value dinner with wine and aps for under $50.
Typical Set Up for The SchoonerTypical Set Up for The Schooner
Typical Set Up for The Schooner

This is someplace other than Pine Island - but you get the idea!
How we get around.How we get around.
How we get around.

The Jeep attaches to the RV and gets towed from hither to yon!
Pot Luck Supper at the KOAPot Luck Supper at the KOA
Pot Luck Supper at the KOA

Even me, the big time eschewer of buffet meals, found the pot luck meal was delish, the company fun, and we almost won at bingo after dinner. A couple at our table offered "friendly advice" re: a few dishes to avoid! Not sure why (something about the known bad habits of the person who prepared them) but we followed the friendly advice and did as we were told!
Told Ya Pine Island is OLD FloridaTold Ya Pine Island is OLD Florida
Told Ya Pine Island is OLD Florida

I do believe there are children who wouldn't know what this is!
The Pine Island KOA Red BusThe Pine Island KOA Red Bus
The Pine Island KOA Red Bus

Free or nominally priced transportation to beaches, shopping, theatre, restaurants, etc. Portal to Portal - delivers passengers right to their doors!
Typical Transportation Typical Transportation
Typical Transportation

Like much of Florida; renting a golf cart can provide great transportation. Pine Island has a great off-road bike path system - not sure if golf carts are allowed on the bike path!


5th February 2010

Re: Pine Island
Love your blogs, Joanne---we skiied Gore today temps in the 20's. In spite that we need snow, conditions were pretty good and we "oldsters" had a great day. Those sunfilled photos look very enticing, I must say.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb