The Real Pine Island...Real People


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pine Island » St James City
February 18th 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Pat Doerman's PI Post CardPat Doerman's PI Post CardPat Doerman's PI Post Card

Couldn't resist buying this at the Paisley Parrot in St. James City. Pat Doerman is the artist. She owns the Paisley Parrot, an art gallery, antique shop and mini garden center.
After a few - maybe 10 or so - visits to Pine Island, we have gotten to know some of the people who live and work here. Familiarity is fun! It's fun to sit at a bar, hear some gossip, and have an idea of what's going on! It's fun to go to an art show and recognize one of the artists - like Joanna Bowles - who offered to take us around to see her work. We've always been big fans of supporting local, independently owned businesses and artists. Pine Island is our Florida extension of that inclination.





On our last Pine Island morning, we left the RV off with Helene, a dimiautive French Canadian seamstress. We had a situation where we needed the services of 'marine grade' sewing to replicate some window screens that somehow or other aquired legs while the RV was in storage. Helene to the rescue. She special ordered the 'goods' and very accomodatingly finished the custom job the day we left Pine Island.






While waiting for Helene to finish her work, I took the jeep to the Paisley Parrot, a gallery, antique shop and
Juanita and Helene Installing the ScreenJuanita and Helene Installing the ScreenJuanita and Helene Installing the Screen

Wes was the assistant. These are skilled, hard working people. They replaced a front window screen that offers sun protection and privacy! Great value, incredible service! If you need new boat canvas or upholstry call Helene.
mini garden center at 3289 Stringfellow Road, St. James City. I met the owner, Pat Doerman, the artist whose amusing post card is the first photo on this blog entry. Pat drives the vintage Chevy wagon pictured somewhere on this blog. If you're on Pine Island on March 17, don't miss "Art on the Green," Pat's art show and sale of her own work and that of other local artists.






I bought some garlic and fresh veggies at Barb's Produce Stand and we picked up a few items at the St. James City General Store, which has a deli counter ($3 for turkey & cheese on half a sub roll), groceries, dairy products, fishing gear, pre-owned paperbacks and DVD's, and more! This was our first stop at the General Store. The visit was prompted by a true story - symbolic of the heart and soul of Pine Island. I posted the story - about Barb and the General Store owner - as a caption under Barb's Produce.











Barb's story is well known. Eldon, our kayak guide, explained that there isn't a farmers' market
Barb's Produce StandBarb's Produce StandBarb's Produce Stand

Talk about loyalty and respect for each other. The General Store doesn't sell produce as it would compete with this little business which is Barb's sole source of income. Barb has overcome some physical challenges to live independently. Pine Islands look out for one another.
on Pine Island in respect for Barb's fruit stand business. Another new friend, Dorothy, a former school teacher and Chicago lawyer and present co-operator of The Ragged A_ _ Saloon was also quick to relate examples of how "Pine Islanders take care of their own."









Can hardly wait to return to Pine Island to catch up with Eldon and Dorothy and Barb and Helene and Pat and Joanna! Who knows who we'll meet next time. It sure has a homey feeling with very real people!





There are more photos beyond the following message. Feel free to share the blog. I am looking for more subscribers!















Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Catamaran From P-TownCatamaran From P-Town
Catamaran From P-Town

This Cat was undergoing some work from the dock of a shipyard next to the ship upholsterer. Its owner/captain brought it down from Provincetown. All sorts of PI businesses thrive on tourists from all over.
Pat's Chevy WagonPat's Chevy Wagon
Pat's Chevy Wagon

The owner of the Paisley Parrot drives this beauty to work each day!
Kayak Guide Eldon Provided SnacksKayak Guide Eldon Provided Snacks
Kayak Guide Eldon Provided Snacks

Eldon surprised us with home made gingersnaps and honey bell oranges during a break in our kayak tour of the St. James Creek Estuary.
Marine UpholsteryMarine Upholstery
Marine Upholstery

Here's the number if you're ever in Pine Island and need new awnings, boat cover, RV screens or upholstery! Helene delivers!
Art at Paisley ParrotArt at Paisley Parrot
Art at Paisley Parrot

Most of what you see has been created by Pat Doerman. Love supporting local artists!
Ancient Tiki RuinsAncient Tiki Ruins
Ancient Tiki Ruins

Just imagine the fun in this Tiki Hut in its prime along the canal! If you look closely you can see two identical ceiling paddle fans - sans paddles!
A Great Hide OutA Great Hide Out
A Great Hide Out

This low slung, canal side home with a grass roof on the lanai, boat, and kayaks would make a great hide out!


21st February 2012

AND Great Consignment Shopping
There is a great consignment shop in the Winn Dixie Plaza. It's located inside the laundromat/dry cleaner. BTW we have saved time for fun in the sun by using the wash n fold service here! With the price of coin operated machines and detergent; it almost evens out. There is also a good charity thrift shop just east of the four way stop! Love this way of recycling and reuse!

Tot: 0.552s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 20; qc: 120; dbt: 0.1688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb