It's Not Just a Theme Park


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Heritage MuseumHeritage MuseumHeritage Museum

Check out Winter Garden's rich southern history and have a look at the old train car and fire engine.
Everyone has to start somewhere, and in my particular case, home sweet home is Winter Garden, Florida in the United States. While most people may not have heard of this growing city, it rests just outside Orlando which is surely recognizable to the masses for its ample servings of theme parks such as Universal Studios, Walt Disney World and Sea World. While these days Winter Garden has tourism to thank for much of its prosperity, it owes the citrus industry a debt for its humble beginnings.

The city, established in 1903, is quaint though fairly unoriginal in design. Plant Street, the main thoroughfare, boasts a multitude of shops and restaurants. Two favourites are Downtown Brown's and The Winter Garden Pizza Company. Both serve fine meals at reasonable prices. One can dine at the sidewalk tables and watch the world go by while enjoying the Florida sunshine.

Offering a few cultural experiences for the tourist and local alike, Winter Garden has a heritage museum as well as a railroad museum in which visitors can take a look back in time through old photos and artifacts donated by residents whose families have lived in the area for generations.

If you're
Winter Garden ClockWinter Garden ClockWinter Garden Clock

The West Orange Trail passes through the city center and directly underneath the city's new clock.
up for a bit of outdoor activity, one might find that a walk on the West Orange trail is just the ticket. The trail consists of 19 miles of paved road in which one can walk, rollerblade, or bike across a good part of Orange County. And as the path cuts right through the city center, stopping for refreshment is quite easy at one of the restaurants or at the large fountain in the center of the trail. Don't forget the ice cream at Downtown Brown's.

It is worthy to note that the area has experienced major growth over the last five years and it doesn't look to slow down anytime soon. Despite Florida's success in the citrus industry, orange groves are quickly being erased by developers and new homes are sprouting up in their place. Winter Garden will always be my hometown and is worth a trip to check out if in the Orlando area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

City FountainCity Fountain
City Fountain

The city's fountain is in the center of the West Orange Trail and displays colorful and historical orange crate labels from various local growers.
The Edgewater HotelThe Edgewater Hotel
The Edgewater Hotel

Built in the 1920\'s, this building is worth stopping by to have a look at the large fireplace in the entry way or some barbeque at its restaurant, Choctaw WIlly\'s.


5th April 2006

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hello LJ, The article on Winter Garden is superb! What a quaint little place to visit. I can't wait for my next visit to the area!
6th April 2006

Great!
Really nice work there Sweetbabes!
8th April 2006

Quaint restoration of Winter Garden
Your description of "uptown" is heartwarming. No matter where you travel to, you will know that Home Sweet Home is in Winter Garden. Who knew years ago, that where the railroad went through, there would be a big clock tower, beautiful landscaping and bricked streets. Be watching for a new establishment "Hot Dog City". Fabulously written blog Sweetbabes.
11th April 2006

great blog
Ello there laura i love the blog! It is pretty sweet! I like the pictures they are cool! I cant wait till you go to England and take pictures,because i have always wanted to see what England looks like! Before you leave for England we need to have a leaving doo!!! ok bye bye love, megan ♥
20th May 2006

Penny Gotrocks?
Where is Penny Gotrocks? I haven't seen her in years!

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb