1st Fullday Down .... tomorrow Epcot


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando » Disney World
September 2nd 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived safely in Orlando on Monday night (US Eastern time) after a 5 hour flight from LA. Our first night in LA was rather basic but comfortable enough. The 5 hour flight was also very basic and not very comfortable (not to mention the total lack of on-board entertainment). We arrived at Orlando airport all pretty exhausted from two days of constant travel and little sleep. The Disney bus ride from Orlando airport to Disney's Wilderness Lodge was fine except it seemed like it took forever as we just wanted to be at Disney already. Our check in was a little disorganised but we were treated with the utmost respect and escorted to the Concierge on Level 7 before being taken to our deluxe 2 room suite on level 4. After some quick unpacking we headed to the Wispering Canyon for a full table service dinner. Mr Chicken was in his element with plenty of red meat to enjoy, little miss junior chicken however didn't enjoy the fare at all. A quick look around the hotel "grab your money" shop and we were off on a walk around the hotel grounds before bed time. We almost tripped over the Armidillo crossing the path and it did take a fair bit to actually get its picture.
Next morning, up early for a behind the scenes tour of the Magic Kingdom Steam Trains just to keep Mr Chicken happy. Mrs Chicken and Junior Chicken suffered through that one, and are planning to make Mr Chicken pay dearly. That filled the hours between 7am and 11am and then we were off expploring Magic Kingdom park. We saw a few of the Disney Characters, but the lines to meet them were a little longer than we expected, so, sadly, we passed on that option and headed straight for lunch at the Plaza Restaurant. Chocolate Milkshakes were had by all and Junior Chicken chose a tuna crossaint to madly much on. Burgers were had by the two senior chickens in the family. After a very satisfying meal, it was time for junior chicken to be introduced to rollercoasters. The first ride we chose was The Jungle Cruise boat ride (not really a rollercoaster but we had to work up to the big uns). Next we headed to the many many stairs in the Tarzan Treehouse and the Pirates of the Carribean boat ride. Finally Splash Mountain appeared on the radar, the very first Disney rollercoaster for Junior Chicken. Most went well, except the last 50ft drop, which was not appreciated by Junior Chicken. We do have photos of her screaming (proof to be kept for the 21st birthday). Big Thunder Mountain railway was next, and this time Junior Chicken was so primed that she and Mr Chicken had to ride it twice (the second time in the front carriage!). Tom Sawyer island was next on the agenda, little disappointing (for us older adventurers) however Mr Chicken will forever have fond memories of trying to drown Mrs Chicken on the Log Bridge and the spatial distubance in the Tom Sawyer cave was frankly, quite disorientating.
The Haunted Mansion beckoned and the special effects were "awesome" says junior chicken. Mr and Junior Chicken got quite a kick out of watching a man showered by the exploding Sprite bottle....... An afternoon snack followed (along with some welcome relief from the heat) and then some retail therapy for Mrs and Junior Chicken followed by transport back to the Lodge on the Disney boat transportation system. Mr Chicken had a serious grandpa nap (!) whilst junior chicken rested in front of the Disney Channel!. Mrs Chicken did some serious photography before waking Sleeping Beauty (yeah yeah) and heading the family to the pool so that Junior Chicken could finally stop nagging and experience the water, the slide and the spa. Dinner again that evening at the Whispering Canyon where Mrs Chicken couldn't resist but to ask for Tomato Ketchup for Mr Chicken.... The whole table then needs to yell out "WE NEED KETCHUP" and the last table to get the Ketchup runs ALL the ketchup bottles over to your table (Yes That Was ALL 12 bottles of Heinz Tomato Ketchup). Of course the next table that asks for Tomato Ketchup gets ALL the bottles from our table. Quite funny to see Mrs Chicken taking 8 bottles in 1 trip with Junior Chicken carrying the last 4 and Mr Chicken wondering what all the fuss is about!






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb