Key West May/June 2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
June 1st 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up early and enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast that came with teh cost of teh hotel room. We were going to go snorkling but the 10 minutes of rain at 9am scared us into cancelling our trip. In the end, however it was all worth it since Summer and Dave were not going to come with us because Summer does not do well on boats. This way we were able to spend the day with them.

We started out the door without a particular direction and ended up renting bikes for 7$ for the whole day. We hopped on and headed away from Duval street and wandered into areas we had never seen before. The Aides Memorial Park has a long pier going out into the middle of the Atlantic ocean , which we walked along and met a guy catching these needle-nose looking fish, which Dave feel in love with. The man was going to be using these fish as bait for larger fish. We hopped back on the bikes and came across an old fort currently occupied by goats and the continued to bike around Key West until our bellies began to rumble. We had seen the falafel place last night and thought it would be a safe bet after the disgusting food we had the previous night at Cheese Burger, but unfortunately the only took cash and there was no Shawarma that day. So Dave asked a local where would be a good place to eat and he directed us to a place called Carolines which was 1000 times better, both service and food. Derek and I had eaten there the last time we came to Key West and had forgotten about this place. Next time we will definately go back to Carolines.

After lunch we went to a used book store and biked around mallory square but there was not much happening during the day. It almost resembled a movie scene without the actors. The difference between the daytime ambiance and nighttime ambiance is...well...like night and day! Continuing along the way to nowhere in particular I noticed that the backs of my hands were getting burned and thought that it was probably a good time to get off the bikes. We decided to try to make it to the Schnebly winerey since Summer and Dave had never been. Unfortunately thought we called them along the way and found out that they would be closed at 5pm and we would not make it on time. Too bad.

We all had a very good time together and traveled well together and will definately plan to return to Key West in the near future.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb