En Route to Key West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
June 1st 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today started with a trip into Marathon. We needed to pick up some fuel filters as Scott realized that one of the problems we had was that we got some fuel with a little too much water, so we are going through filters faster than you can imagine. After some blueberry pancakes on board, we took the dingy to the Marathon City dingy dock, where they charge $13 a day!!! Can you imagine, for the priviledge of tying your dingy to their plastic docks, they want $13????

We walked about a mile to West Marine and got what we were needed and were on our way.

We left Marathon close to noon and decided to head to Looe Key. If you have never snorkeled there, it is a must in your lifetime. Looe Key is located about 5 miles off Big Pine Key, which is about mile marker 30, for those who are familiar with the lower Keys.

Today was actually one of the best snorkel experiences we have had on the reef. No sooner did we jump in the water and look down, but there was a 4 foot reef shark. We saw no less than 10
Sunset in Key West HarborSunset in Key West HarborSunset in Key West Harbor

On our way into the harbor, the sun was going down
different sharks today in the water. We saw huge tarpon, grouper, beautiful parrot fish, sargeant majors, tangs, you name it, we saw it! Oh, we can't leave out the 5 foot baracuda that was hanging around the back of the sailboat following us around!

After taking a dip at the reef, we moved on to Key West. We pulled in at sunset, in time to see the sunset cruises heading out and catch the sunset show at Mallory Square from the boat. We're anchored at the Conch Harbor Marina, and we'll stay here for a few days for sure!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Sunset CruisesSunset Cruises
Sunset Cruises

All of the tourists enjoying the sunset cruise


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb