How to Cope With Siblings on a Cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Fort Lauderdale
January 23rd 2010
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, this might be a bit boring, but if you ever want to travel with family that you have never travelled with, you might want to make a hard copy and keep it to read at that time.

We really are having a great time. Sister Liz has just called and is actually in Fort Lauderdale awaiting the arrival of her luggage from Calgary. We will be picking her up shortly. Mary, Annette and Skater Sue made a booze run and came back with 2 boxes of wine etc. Alcohol really greases the joints or disjoints among us all. I have some great pics that I hope to be able to post soon.

I did reach Gail yesterday. She was spending some time with her Dad and she and Richard will fly out of Detroit to Miami and then on to Aruba today. Thank goodness!! She needs some sun and warmth...as long as Richard stays out of trouble. In the meantime, here is some reading material. You can skip to Step #8 if you want to know the best piece of advice.

How to Cope With Sibling Rivalry on a Cruise

Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Things You'll Need to start with: patience, patience, patience and the ability to take a deep breath every few minutes.

Step 1: Set aside individual time for each sibling when the two of you can talk and bond without interference from outside sources. It will help to develop a line of communication that makes it easier to see any problems before they get out of control.

Step 2: Make the special time unique and specific for each sibling and even let the sibling choose the activity. Keep the activity focused on the sibling's interests and make sure that you participate with a joyful attitude.

Step 3: Focus on the individual gifts and talents of each sibling and avoid comparisons with other siblings. You will be teaching your sibling how to look for the positive in himself or herself (and in others as well).

Step 4: Spend non-competitive time together enjoying the different activities on the ship.

Step 5: Support the events and activities of each sibling equally by attending or giving time towards the things that each sibling finds special or important in his or her life.

Step 6: Look for the positive features and points in each sibling and compliment him or her on those so that each one knows that you are watching and talking about him or her and that you do care.

Step 7: Set the rules for important events you board the ship. Having rules in place will help eliminate some of the complaining about who gets to do what and when. Remember: Majority Rules!!

Step 8: If one sibling is particularly annoying, make sure he or she is sufficiently inebriated. Take him or her to the balcony, having made certain at least one of the rooms has one. Push gently. Go back into the room, shut the door, wait 5 minutes, then call for help.

Tips & Warnings: Understand that sibling rivalry is not all bad.


Advertisement



27th January 2010

siblings
you are hysterical, i keep saying i want to go on a trip with you. Have a blast!!!
27th January 2010

Oh my goodness.....lol
Now I know what my sister did the things she did when we went on the cruise....lol so that is why I fell over the balcony...hummmmm .....Back then it took more to get me drunk....lol was a little heavyer in them days ....lol Hey I miss you sweety and keep smiling ...Hugs Marty

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb