Happy Holidays


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Fort Lauderdale
December 19th 2007
Published: December 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Holiday Greetings everyone..................

I really haven't any idea how the TravelBlog folks just got around to posting one of my blogs from 15 months ago! I sure didn't post it again..............however, if you are snow bound or suffering thru the icy blasts of the last days of fall (remember, winter doesn't start until 21 December), the perhaps the nice pics from Lindau will warm you up a bit !!!!!!

On the travel front, I did a quick one week trip to the UK in early October and then have basically stayed home since.

On 05 January 2008 however, I'll be flying back to London and then on to Southampton to board QE2 for a return 10 day trip, via New York, to Ft. Lauderdale. You might ask, "why the North Atlantic in January?".
Don't you know I have loads of justification !!!!! First of all, my favorite ship, the QE2 has been sold for delivery to Dubai in November of 2008. Naturally, all those final voyages of the ship were sold out within minutes of the schedules being published. And don't even think of getting any past passenger discounts.....if anything, Cunard has bumped up the rates !!!!!

The QE2 sails from Southampton on 06 January on what will be her final world cruise. In addition, she will sail in tandem with the new QUEEN VICTORIA across the Atlantic. Mind you, the new ship has a top speed of about 20-22 knots so my QE2 will have to slow down to almost half speed to stay with her new sister. That means that the crossing to NYC will be 7 days instead of the normal 6 (what ever happened to 3 1/2 days in the 1960s?). The gala arrival of the two ships into NYC on 13 January should be really neat as they both dock in the traditional North River berths. In the meantime, the big sister, QUEEN MARY 2 will be docked in Brooklyn on the same day.....so technically, all 3 Queens will be in NYC at the same time. Later that day on the 13th, all 3 ships will sail from NYC, tho I seriously doubt that all 3 will be visible from one another !!!!! In the past, the QE2 took one overnight to sail from NYC to Fort Lauderdale, however, because QE2 will again sail in tandem with the slower QV, it will take us 2 nights from NYC to Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades where we'll both arrive the morning of 16 January. So that will be my last time on QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and I'll try and keep you posted as things happen on the journey.

However you are going, and wherever you are going, have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, fun and prosperous New Year.

Bob

Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb