Everglades Swamps and “Key” Hopping in Florida (1.-4.4.09)


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The US had us back after leaving from Denver, but this time in Florida with the Everglades as our first objective. Miami airport was a desaster in clearing immigration and when we arrived at the rental car desk only Hyundai cars were left which was definitely not the most loved car of Yuki. We did some shopping since the Everglades Nationalpark stretches very long and the main camp was far away on the west side of Florida. We entered late afternoon and drove through mostly flat area with more and more mangrove forests. Finally we arrived at the nicely located camp with gras between palm trees. Only few people were there since the low season already started with increasing temperatures and humidity. We made friends with some camp neighbors. The two ladies were surprised how much we have seen of the US and had just started after retirement their first long trip.
We decided to hire a kayak and to paddle along one of the internal water ways between alligators. It sounded very exciting but the rangers assured us nothing had ever happened. Just do not come too close and do not make them angry. Water levels have been already very low and partially we had to push the boat with the paddles. Some crocodiles floated in front of us and disappeared. It was strange to be in a landscape of water, mangroves, gras and sand that was neither land nor sea. The way back there was suddenly a big splash and a grey body of the crocodile moved less than a half meter close to me when I pushed the paddle into the water. I screamed and tried to understand what had happened. We had overrun a crocodile on the shallow water and paddled over it. I will never forget this grey body and water moving in my life. Another day was spent with bird watching on observatory platforms and a visit and evening talk in the visitor center.

The question was if we should go to the end of the famous keys – Key West. The drive on the very South end of Highway 1 is rather long with 100 miles and all attempts to pre-book a place on a camp ground had failed. Finally we decided to do the drive and return the same evening. Perfect turquoise waters lined our way from island to island with occasional stops at some of the bridges. We finally arrived after almost three hours at the end town Key West. It was famous for Hemingway and considered as one of the perfect places to forget the outside world. We strolled along the streets and shops and waited for the sunset celebration. At dawn juggles and acrobats gather at the main square and entertain the crowds with a dazzling orange sky as back stage. Key West was nice, but as every main tourist destination in the end not the main excitement. Yuki did most of the driving back and we pitched our tent late evening at the camp ground close to the main entrance of the Everglades.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb