Everglades City


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Camilla Street CafeCamilla Street CafeCamilla Street Cafe

On the river in a marina setting. Freshest seafood and herbs from their own herb garden. Music on certain nights and all day on Sunday. Funky fun! Wes had shrimp n grits and I had a crab cake (real crab/no filler). We shared a great salad with things in it like Chickory and a great $10 bottle of wine.
Choskoloskee Island and Everglades City are full of surprises. The RV Resort is over the top. The island is wildly beautiful; but those amazing Floridian Landscapers have been doing their magic here and there to give it some finish (note nicely balanced here and there). We are near the entrance to Everglades National Park and will be exploring Shark Valley, possibly taking a two hour tram into the heart of the Everglades, and taking an airboat tour. Meanwhile, it is so wonderful here with temps in the 80s and bright sunshine, that we have slowed down our usual pace and are actually hanging out at the resort, lounging by the pool, reading our books, and relaxing. Gotta get going through as there is much to see and do here. So much so that we are extending our stay for almost a full week. Might get in some fishing. To quote the tourism brochure for this area, "The Everglades National Park and the Ten Thousand Islands (from here north to Goodland) are a traveling fisherman's ideal destination. It is one of the most pristine and productive fisheries in North America." Gone Fishing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rod & Gun LodgeRod & Gun Lodge
Rod & Gun Lodge

This place with a long roster of movie stars and presidents was a total surprise. Once, a private club, it has retained it's clubbiness and quirkiness (no credit cards). This place is totally shiniest wood - like the old Lake Placid Club. There are cabins a vintage swimming pool, and boat docking "on the river" out front.
Verandah - Rod & Gun LodgeVerandah - Rod & Gun Lodge
Verandah - Rod & Gun Lodge

We're saving this for a special occasion; there are also cottages. Upstairs at the Lodge (which opened in 1864) has been closed off for fear of fire. The glossy wood throughout the interior is amazing.
Funky GrandeurFunky Grandeur
Funky Grandeur

This is apt; for the Rod & Gun Lodge and for the entire island.
Clipping at the Rod & Gun LodgeClipping at the Rod & Gun Lodge
Clipping at the Rod & Gun Lodge

Everyplace has their unique claims to fame!
Vintage Screen Door - Rod & Gun LodgeVintage Screen Door - Rod & Gun Lodge
Vintage Screen Door - Rod & Gun Lodge

This sets a certain tone!
Our View at DawnOur View at Dawn
Our View at Dawn

We lucked out with a water site. We have a huge deck, nice neighbors, and an amazing view of the Everglades National Park, wading birds, flopping mullets, and passing boats.
Wes at the Cool PoolWes at the Cool Pool
Wes at the Cool Pool

So far we have been using the unheated pool. There are three pools at Chocoloskee Island RV Park. It carries the Outdoor Resorts brand. Most of the lots are owned - like condos - many have water access, decks, docks and boat lifts.
Float BreakdownFloat Breakdown
Float Breakdown

The RV park was having an early Mardi Gras parade as we checked in. This float checked out when the axle on the boat trailer snapped. Very clever themes, costumes and almost a dozen entries in the parade.


Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb