The town of Fernandina Beach, Florida


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Don’t be misled by the name into thinking that this is just another place for fun-in-the-sun and water sports. This is a delightful small town with a fascinating history and lots of interesting things to see and do.

First, a bit of history … Because of its potentially strategic location at the north end of their existing Florida colony, and its excellent harbour, the Spanish established a settlement here in 1675 and laid out the grid plan for what they hoped would become a new city named after their King Ferdinand. For the next two centuries it was fought over by Spain, France, England, numerous pirates and usurpers and both the North and the South. Things settled down after the Civil War, the original town of Fernandina was moved a couple of miles south-westward, and eventually became what is now known as the Historic District. That entire tumultuous period is too complex to explain here, but history buffs will find their fill of info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernandina_Beach_Florida.

Over the years the surrounding area has grown into a town of about 12,000 named Fernandina Beach, with every modern amenity, including a railway, golf courses and a small airport: it's a town like any other. Today, though, many tourists come to tour the Historic District, 50 blocks of well-maintained and still used buildings listed on the American Register of Historic Places.

Margo and I spent a month on Amelia Island in the winter of 2015, enjoying the serenity of the beach, the genuine friendliness of the people, their civic pride, and the genteel unpretentious atmosphere that long typified the Florida of old.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd May 2015
watching the sunset at the Marina

Delightful
What an interesting and well kept up little town. I can see why you had such a good time there. The buildings are very charming, the beach looks gorgeous and I love the stained glass windows. What a great photo you took of the spanish moss laden tree. Thanks for all your research and efforts making these articles.
3rd May 2015

Delightful
Fernandina Beach sounds like a delightful place for an extended holiday. I can see why you had such a good time. Everything looks so clean and well kept up. Loved the stained glass windows and what a great photo you took of the Spanish moss laden tree. You make me want to go there. The beach looks quite nice too. Thanks for sharing. Nanci
3rd May 2015
sport fishermen's delight

ooooooooooo fantastic! A copy is now my desktop ;o)
10th May 2015

Amazing
I can understand why both of you enjoyed this place.....the stained glass windows, organ are unbelievably beautiful.....the architecture is unbelievable & the place is very, very clean. The residents seem to be very proud of Fernandina Beach. The Lesesne House is very, very similar to the house I grew up in on Island Park Drive. My parents got their inspiration from down South. Happy to hear that Mr. Yulee was willing listener - lol ! Another job well done Fred.....I cannot imagine the patience and talent it takes to write these blogs. Keep up the good work. Judy & Fern

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb