Leaving Washington DC


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8921, -77.0241

Snow still lying around but very sunny temperature much colder than yesterday -7 but feels like -15.8. Now we most of our bags we can repack all the "emergency purchase" have breakfast and make our way to Union Station.

I spent the first two hours chasing down Emma's missing bag, on phone to United plus many emails. The bag is in Washington somewhere but we are leaving at 12:00 noon for station. United appear to have it in hand and we expect to finally see Emma's bag sometime whilst we are in New York. In the mean time we have had to purchase 3 more suitcases online because the locks have all been busted by TSA and are now useless, they are being delivered to our hotel in New York within 3 days so by the time we depart for San Francisco we should be good.

Took minibus to Union Station because we just have sooooooo much gear! Bag handler took us to waiting spot where I stayed with bags (as usual) while girls went to National Postal Museum, apparently it was really good according to Emma...very excited cause she was able to send her postcard to Charlie. Well they arrived back at agreed time and you guessed it immediately took aim for the H&M shop!

Our train, service 94 to Penn Street Station departs at 14:0pm so we have just 63 minutes to wait. There is some beautiful architecture here and art dec decoration, quite spectacular. Bought lunch for the trip and waited.

Great assistance from our "Red Cap" boarding train with our bags, now settled and departed 14:19pm, now snacking on our Panini. Interesting to note that whilst the temp is still -7 it now feels like -16.8. Lots of wind around, we actually got smacked with wind & snow as we boarded.

There is snow everywhere and the forecast for arrival in New York is -6 feeling like -14

Arrived Penn Street Station around 18:00 bit behind schedule. "redCap" helped us with our bags to the street side where we queued for a taxi. Now off to Hilton Garden Inn, Times Square. Very -8 degrees and with win factor it's actually -19.4. One we put pages in room we were off to get acclimatised with the weather. Visited Toys are Us, kids did the Ferris wheel then off to M&M & bought a few things ( couldn't resist) then off to Hershey's Chocolate World, the temperature is dropping and it is just so cold....now-11 (-23) so now off to find some dinner. Found a great Mexican offer at xxxxxxx

Now let's brave the cold again and head back to the hotel & to bed.

Good night from the "Rudkin Travelling Forest 2087 Billies" from Times Square, NY

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb