WALKING THE NATIONAL MALL PART I CONTINUED


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Let's turn around, face to the East and walk up the other side of the National Mall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The Mall MapThe Mall Map
The Mall Map

You won't get lost on either side of the Mall if you use these map guides.
The TurnaroundThe Turnaround
The Turnaround

OK..this foot journey is making its turn to the east, left on Jefferson Drive. Let's go up the other side of the Mall. First past the Department of Agriculture on the right.
The FreerThe Freer
The Freer

Halfway down Jefferson Drive on the right we pass the Freer Gallery of Art: The Smithsonian's first Mall museum dedicated solely to art. The Freer is a hidden treasure, not visited as much as it deserves. It houses a stupendous collection of Asian art plus works by James McNeill Whistler.
Barbarian At The GateBarbarian At The Gate
Barbarian At The Gate

Our intrepid "foot-traveler" has made it to the Smithsonian Castle gate. Let's enter.
The Smithsonian QuadrangleThe Smithsonian Quadrangle
The Smithsonian Quadrangle

The walk has entered the Smithsonian Quadrangle, part of which is the 4-acre Enid A. Haupt Garden, a personal contemplative escape haven. The Smithsonian Castle looms in the background.
National Museum Of African ArtNational Museum Of African Art
National Museum Of African Art

Still in the Quadrangle: The wonderful National Museum of African Art with a 7,000-item permanent collection of traditional African works of art.
Arthur M. Sackler GalleryArthur M. Sackler Gallery
Arthur M. Sackler Gallery

The other Quadrangle treasure: The Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, devoted to Asian arts, past to present. A personal favorite.
At Play In The Haupt GardenAt Play In The Haupt Garden
At Play In The Haupt Garden

Certain nooks & crannies of the Haupt Garden encourage creative relaxation.
Still More FunStill More Fun
Still More Fun

Some places in the Haupt Garden force one to just let loose.
MeditationMeditation
Meditation

A place for meditation in the Haupt Garden.
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Flowers add fragrance to the walk going out of the Quadrangle and back on to Jefferson Drive.
Mary Livingston Ripley GardenMary Livingston Ripley Garden
Mary Livingston Ripley Garden

On the right, the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden entices birds and tourists. Oh the lucky squirrels that live among the flower beds, getting fat on juicy buds and petals.
The HirshhornThe Hirshhorn
The Hirshhorn

There's the Hirshhorn. The so-called "doughnut" on the Mall. A great place to see contemporary art.
The Walker?The Walker?
The Walker?

Could this be our Mall-walker, turned to stone or salt or whatever for looking back on where he'd been?
The Hirshhorn Sculpture GardenThe Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden
The Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden

Across Jefferson Drive, The Hirshhorn Museum Sculpture Garden, sunk below ground level, beckons to the Mall-trekker: "Please walk through me"--"Enjoy the works of Rodin, Maillol, Gaston Lachaise, and Henry Moore plus a few of Matisse's relief plaques."
To The WestTo The West
To The West

OK we're back on 7th Street and this walk is winding down with a look westward down at the other end of the Mall and the Washington Monument.
The Finish LineThe Finish Line
The Finish Line

So here it ends looking north up 7th Street towards the restaurants and watering holes of Chinatown, just a few short blocks away. Stay tuned for the next walk on the Mall. Coming soon.


9th May 2006

Walk the Walk
This takes me home to where my Mom pushed my stroller when I was a toddler some, ahem, 50 years ago. Many of the galleries and special gardens are new, but the castle, Natural History Museum, the National Gallery of Art and the Freer were all there in the 1950's and we'd visit them regularly. Thank you for an inspiring walk.
9th May 2006

Mall Walk
Powerful images here. The mall belongs to the people.

Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb