On the Road Again - Cherry Hill RV Park, MD


Advertisement
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Antenna From Top of World Trade CenterAntenna From Top of World Trade CenterAntenna From Top of World Trade Center

This was a powerful exhibit. The front pages of newspapers from around the world from the day after the attack paper the walls. Newseum.
We are heading south in "The Schooner" a little earlier this year in hopes of better travel weather and to follow the brilliant foliage. The Mohawk River Valley, the Schoharie Valley and bright color through the hills of Pennsylvania didn't disappoint on a glorious first day. As we approached Baltimore/DC, the farms dotting the countryside were a visual treat. This year's planned stops are Washington DC, Ashville NC, Lake Norman NC, Stone Mountain GA, and Fort Desoto Park FL before landing for a brief spell in Pine Island, FL. Every place except Fort Desoto, DC, and Pine Island are new to us. We'll fly home for Thanksgiving and the Holidays.
Our DC base is the Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD. Its great amenities and convenience to DC via public transportation (bus stop right in the RV park with connection to the Metro via the Green Line) are a rare treat for RVers. On day one, we headed for the Capitol. We visited US Congressmen Scott Murphy’s and Paul Tonko’s offices. Thanks to Paul, we had timed passes to tour the Capitol and Gallery tickets for both the House and US Senate. It rained on and off into the evening so staying in the Capitol was a great way to spend the day. On Wednesday, the Newseum kept us occupied all day. This museum is phenomenal -- really not to be missed! The Newseum was especially wonderful - the stories of 9/11, Woodstock, sports, humor (satire), and other aspects of front page stories and those who brought them to us over the years were well told through exhibitry, interactive features and video. The Pulitzer Prize Photo Gallery and accompanying taped commentary by award winning photographers was especially moving. For dinner, we followed a recommendation and had dinner at Momma Lucia's at the College Park strip mall. Wonderful food - lasagna for Wes; pumpkin ravioli with a white sauce for me! Thursday was our fascinating visit to the Spy Museum. Another memorable, interactive museum that the entire family would enjoy. No photos allowed; but suffice it to say there was a lot to see, do and learn. We had a great late lunch downtown with sangria at Rosa Mexicano, located convenient to the Spy Museum (and not far from Newseum, American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery, & Crime Museum).



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

I Like IkeI Like Ike
I Like Ike

I never got in to President Eisenhower - but the trip to Normandy, learning of his strategic role in the D Day landing, has increased our respect for his leadership. Would like to visit the farm he and Mamie had next time we are in Gettysburg. This statue is in the Capitol. Each state gets two statues to display here - this is one of the Kansas entries.
Example of Capitol ArtExample of Capitol Art
Example of Capitol Art

Our American history is told through art in the Capitol. This depicts DeSoto's exploration in Florida.
Berlin Wall DetailBerlin Wall Detail
Berlin Wall Detail

The Newseum has four sections and a security tower from the Berlin Wall as part of its exhibitry. Powerful!


30th October 2009

From Joanne and Wes
we love your town - will be back - need to be on the road in the morning - thanks so much for calling - stay tuned. Hi Issac!
30th October 2009

See you in Fort Myers!
We will REALLY be in touch when we get to the Fr. Myers area - we will be staying at the KOA at Pine Island; but have the jeep and look forward to meeting up with you and Kathy. :)
30th October 2009

reply
what a trip....hey when your at the library of congress grab me a mad magazine!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb