Day Six - Bixby goes to DC!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Saved: June 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day six began with the National Constitution Center. They had a wonderful virtual demonstration / multimedia / live performance that described the foundation of our country. After the presentation we looked at a number of artifacts, read more about the story of our country, and visited the interactive exhibits. The Center really brought the Constitution to life and how it relates to our everyday lives!
After the Center we had a little bus trouble which lead to lunch at the Gallery which is a HUGE mall in downtown Philadelphia. The bus trouble didn’t really affect our schedule, just where we ate lunch.
From there we were off to Washington, D.C. and our first stop was Arlington National Cemetery where we met our tour guide Dave. It was a very moving experience for everyone. We were able to watch a changing of the guard and Dave did a wonderful job of explaining the meaning behind the ceremony. We were all amazed at the formality and precision of it. We were able to see the site of General Robert E. Lee’s homestead which is up on a hill overlooking DC, which gave way to some wonderful views and pictures. We also went to
Another one at the National Constitution CenterAnother one at the National Constitution CenterAnother one at the National Constitution Center

In the signing room at the Center. There were life size statues of all of the signers of the Constitution. It made for a neat photo op!
John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy’s gave sites.
Up next was the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial. It was a walk through memorial with a lot of moving water and stone. Many of FDR’s quotes and sayings were etched into the stone.
Then we went to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. It was an amazing site to see. The pictures, television shows, and movies do not do it justice. The statue stands 19 feet from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head. There are a number of excerpts from Jefferson’s famous writings that are engraved on the walls surrounding the statue.
The last monument for the day was the Marine Corps Memorial, more commonly known as the Iwo Jima Memorial. The statue depicts the famous raising of the American flag on Iwo Jima during WWII. It was truly larger than life!
The last item on our agenda was Union Station where we ate dinner and had a few minutes to walk around or shop. It was a very full day and we are all ready for a good night’s rest before our day tomorrow which starts with our wake up calls at 6am! Make sure to check out the blog tomorrow because we are visiting the White House and the US Capitol building. Keep the comments coming, we love to see what you think (and we like to know that someone is reading this 😊 B-Cubed... OUT!
A quick note to Jess, we’ll be sure to work on getting more pictures of Nate up!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

10th July 2008

your blog
Just wanted to let you know that I can't wait to read your blog everynight!!! Staying up late for me just to get the latest... Am going to bed every night with a smile on my face! Thank you, you have done a great job and I am thrilled to know you are all having a great time!
10th July 2008

Zac can eat again
Zac found his debit card so he can eat again. It was in his pocket...imagine that! Thank you Miss Burwell for taking care of him.
10th July 2008

Your days events
What an incredible walk thru history!! All of us back here are sooo jealous we didn't sign up and go with you guys!! Have a terrible last 2 days!! Hello to Chelsea.
10th July 2008

WOW!!!
Looks like great fun!!!! So great to see pictures of all the kids. Hope all you guys and girls make some lasting friendships. Thanks to the great teachers and parents for a wonderful trip.
10th July 2008

How G-R-E-A-T is DC!!!!
All I can say is WOW! I am so very proud of all you guys and gals. I feel like I am able to experience some of your trip with you. It brings me great joy to know that my daughter is building such wonderful memories to have for the rest of her life; I can't thank you enough!!! Stay safe and see you soon!!

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb