Bush-whackers


Advertisement
Published: December 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

WhitehouseWhitehouseWhitehouse

Much better than 10 Downing Street.
Today Mark took on board my suggestion from yesteray, and we went proper sightseeing. First stop was the Whitehouse, where 2 groups (of about 2 people each) were protesting. One group appeared to be anti war, whilst the other were pro Israel and had a loudspeaker which they used to shout down the anti war guys repeatedly, as well as pretty much demand the immediate nuclear bombing of any state in the middle east which wasn't Israel.

Sadly, the guy who usually stands outside the Whitehouse with cardboard cut outs of George W Bush and Bill Clinton for tourists to pose with for photos wasn't there, I presume he was at home making a new cut out of Jimmy Carter.

We moved on to the Christmas trees - each state (and overseas territory) decorates and sends a tree to DC to be displayed. Most of the displays were pretty woeful though, especially Connecticut who seemed to just stuff baubles with screwed up paper.

From the Whitehouse, we drove up to the Capitol building and then to the Lincoln memorial, where an American told me we have a much better country than they do. He probably thought I was
WashWashWash

The Washington memorial.
Australian.

After this we decided it was way too cold and headed back to Liz and Mark's where we ate and Mark and I showed Adrial the famous Rainbow 'twangers' sketch on Youtube. I think he liked it, he'd started speaking in a faux cockney accent even worse than Dick Van Dyke's and I couldn't make out much of what he said by this point.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

CapCap
Cap

The Capitol building. Not as good as the Houses of Parliament.
LincLinc
Linc

The Lincoln Memorial - surprisingly big.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb