Fall in DC


Advertisement
Published: November 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, after weeks of missing my other half, I’ve finally arrived in Washington DC and have gotten over my jet lag and am settling into my 5 day holiday. I arrived early Saturday morning. The day before I took the bus to Seattle and caught my 10pm red eye to Newark with connection to DC. Long and a little drawn out but cheap, which always works. Arrived at the Baltimore airport to seeing my smiling love waiting for me behind the security doors. Boy was it great to see her. Its only been a little more than a month since Laurence was in Vancouver but time this can often feel longer on rainy fall days.

We took a bus-metro combo back into the city and made our way to the International Student house where Laurence is staying. Nice old mansion, good people and all in all safe and a good choice. After packing an overnight bag, Laurence and I made our way to the Washington Hilton where we’d stay for one night, a little treat for us to celebrate 3 years of being together. It was a decent hotel and just a nice break for both of us and a chance to reconnect.

My adrenaline was still keeping me going and so we headed out to walk around the surrounding neighbourhood, grab a coffee and catch up some more. The weather in DC at this time of year is beautiful. Clear sunny skies and about 15 degrees and warmer in the sun. The leaves are in the midst of turning and the city has a great vibe at this time of year. Definitely a nice break from the colder and cloudier Vancouver weather that has moved in back home.

That night we found a great little Thai restaurant and had a nice dinner. The ambiance was pleasant, the food delicious and the company unbeatable; it was nice to be sharing a meal with Laurence again. After dinner the jet lag was beginning to kick in and we made our way back to the hotel and my first real sleep in nearly 40 hours.

Awoke the next morning, checked out and made our way to a great little neighbourhood for brunch. Spent the rest of the day wandering around making our way to Georgetown, the fancy neighbourhood which surrounds the university of the same name. Very posh, upscale neighbourhood, although it does maintain its charm. We followed this up with a stroll along the Potomac river, finishing up with a quick pass by the White House.

It’s a little surreal being in DC and I’m left with mixed emotions being in this capital city. Above head, even on a Sunday there a numerous low-flying military style helicopters or even the official presidential helicopterwhich I saw this morning, all buzzing around the city. I’m struck by the reality of the situation of this incredibly wealthy and powerful nation which has a couple violent conflicts taking place around the world. I can only imagine what Rome would have looked like as Roman armies were marauding around the countryside extending the empire over a thousand years ago. Would it have look much different? Would helicopters have been replaced with gold studded chariots pulled by the finest jet black stallions? Would Caesar’s palace have been as well guarded as was George’s humble abode? Would the wealthy quarters of Roman senators have looked any different from the impressive, gated homes that are peppered around this American capital? I’m not sure but the buzzing helicopters over head brought to mind these questions.

After the White House, we made our way back to the International Student House to grab some clothes and bedding and make our way out to a friend of Laurence’s whom had graciously invited us to use his room while I was in DC. This great guy named Florian, a German had offered his room and bed for us to use which was great. We settled into our new digs and then caught a bus back downtown for a meal at Fogo de Chao, a dinner gift from Laurence’s parents and a place I was very excited to be visiting. I had heard many things about this Brazilian eatery, all good and man did it live up to its reputation. The service was impeccable and the food exquisite. The idea is there are dozens of servers walking around with freshly grilled meats of all types. Rib eye one moment is followed by bacon wrapped fillet the next, which is followed up with the house specialty - a juicy incredibly tender portion whose origin remains a mystery. The meat is exceptional and all you can eat; and the accompanying salad bar is filled with the best cheeses and vegetables. We added a bottle of amazing Argentinian red, Las Terrazas which conjured a lot of fond memories for Laurence and I who had drunken many bottle of this scrumptious wine during our time in Buenos Aires. The night was fantastic. Thanks to Jean and Lise Lemay for this generous and thoughtful gift. We toasted you both and spoke of Christmas in Quebec. I’m looking forward to seeing you both.

So far DC has been a great chance to reconnect with my love, take some time away from work and school, enjoy my book and take in the sites of this incredible city.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb