Snippets from Washington D.C. aka memoirs of a butt-freezing weekend


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 2:30 p.m. - As I step out of my hotel, (well I reel back immediately !) it’s a mind-numbing - 8 C. ( yes a minus eight degree Celsius, and those who have experienced it, will know what I’m talking about) . We reach New York and our strategy for going to Washington D.C. is pretty much the same as Boston. Head to China town and get on to a Chinese bus with cheap Chinese fare. We turn into icicles just trying to get a cab.

Friday, 5:45 p.m. - We are badly delayed. Even though we had got into the bus at 4:15, it didn’t start till 5 and now its taken 45 min to just negotiate the distance from downtown to midtown Manhattan.

Friday, 9:00 p.m. - We’re in the bus, listening to Chinese rock and watching a Thai movie simultaneously. The movie isn’t bad, seems to have been inspired from bollywood, except that the hero isn’t chasing the heroine but his stolen elephants!!!

Friday, 10 p.m. - we’ve reached D.C. and are waiting on the sidewalk for Himu Da (cousin with whom we’re staying) to come and fetch us before our blood freezes over. (I’m doing a funny spot dance to keep myself warm). Sanjit, never one to accept cold, is bravely walking up and down.

At midnight, we are finally warmed and enjoying the wine and conversation.

Saturday, 10:30 a.m. - we head out to see D.C.’s famous monuments. It’s a minus five degrees. Our first stop is the Vietnam war memorial, followed by the Lincoln memorial where a lake has frozen over. Then the Franklin D. Roosevelt memorial which is peppered with some really nice quotes by the great man himself. After that we drive around for a bit, seeing the Capitol Hill and the Washington monument. A nice hour and a half tour of the “Air and Space Museum” follows. Unlike New York, where they fleece you for going to the museums, in D.C. entry to all museums is free. It’s a great place and we also have lunch there.

Saturday, 4 p.m. - I almost cannot believe that I’m going through the security gates of what is probably the most famous political building in the world. The White House. Its not open to visitors , but here is where a big-shot cousin in the U.S. govt. comes
Abraham LincolnAbraham LincolnAbraham Lincoln

Huge statue at the Lincoln Memorial
in handy. (Himu Da we’re eternally grateful for the White House tour and your very informative commentary). We’re not allowed to take pictures inside but I’ve included pics of the outside and gardens of White House. Just one little thing, there are lots of photos inside the White House, and they are updated daily!!

Saturday, 9 p.m. - we’re at “Off the record” - the bar at the Hay Adams hotel. We’re here because its Himu Da’s favorite bar. Also because I read about the Hay Adams hotel long back in a Nancy Drew novel. well, whatever the reason we have a whale of a time.

Sunday, 12 noon - we are gazing at Giant pandas in the zoo. Then red pandas, cheetah, zebra and some more animals. My favourite though is the sloth bear who is amongst the laziest animals in the world. Sanjit says I probably identify with him.

Sunday, 9 p.m - Himu Da and I are enjoying another Almodovar movie “Talk to her” and munching on pizza. we’ve dropped Sanjit off at the airport as he’s going to Orlando for a conference. The next morning , I catch a train and head back
Sanjit and Himu DaSanjit and Himu DaSanjit and Himu Da

Lincoln Memorial in the background
to New York.(I really thought hard but couldnt come up with a funny end to this blog so thats that)



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Capitol HillThe Capitol Hill
The Capitol Hill

Needs no introduction


15th December 2006

hey ppl...
Washington seems great..cant blv u guys actually managed to get inside white house..very impressive.This is turning out to b one helluva trip..D pics are awesome as usual. Take care..
16th December 2006

It is really difficult to believe that you could manage to visit inside white House which probabaly must be most difficult to get entry. Daddy
18th December 2006

Reunion
Good to see you three together and that too inside the White House complex. Must be a thrilling experience.
20th December 2006

20th dec. 2006
nice pics and pithy comments. Glad to know Himda is such a good host.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb