Medical Emergency on Flight


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hoping for less excitement on the next flight than the one between Denver and DC this morning. The flight started with a woman snapping at her kids as she began having an anxiety attack. After walking up and down the aisle, explaining the situation and taking a Tylenol the woman managed to calm her anxiety, though it took a bit of time. My initial annoyance with her comments to her kids quickly dissipated when realized that her anxiety was talking. I have a great deal of empathy for others who have a mental illness.

I later woke to hearing a man call out for help. I jumped out of my seat to assist as my employer, Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity, keeps us current on our first aid certification. His six-month pregnant wife had fainted after her breathing drastically changed while she slept. The flight staff from United quickly responded and asked passengers if any one was a medical professional. Luckily a woman sitting across the aisle identified herself and began working with the crew to assess the situation.

To allow the husband to focus on his wife, I entertained and held his one year old while the older boy slept. After a quick game of musical chairs found a seat for our descent. Medics met the plane. We learned that the woman fainted due to not eating enough, dehydration and exhaustion from trying to ready the whole family for their 2 flights. With a little food and lots of liquids the mother was doing much better when I bid the family farewell.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb