goodbye Washington and thanks for all the monuments...


Advertisement
Published: April 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

And so we awoke to our final day in Washington. True to form we were up bright and early. Rather than jump back on the trolley we opted for walking to our first destination - the National Archives. What we failed to appreciate was that this city doesn't really get going until 10 A.M. Getting there at just after 9 was a little previous to say the least!
A swift change of plan aided by a trip to Starbucks and a shot of espresso sent us back to the trolley where we took the other route on offer which travels further out of the city to the National Cathedral. This has been a source of pilgrimage for Bill since he first saw Mrs Landinghams funeral.
Having endured 30 minutes on the trolley with a party of American school children and their even louder teachers the cathedral itself didn't disappoint! Sadly we couldn't quite locate the point where Jed dubbed out his defiant fag, but what I did find was the stained glass window dedicated to space - a beautiful piece with a moonstone in its centre which was provided by Michael Collins who went to school next door to the cathedral.
From there it was off to Georgetown via the street which locates all of the embassies and some VERY tasty looking properties. Georgetown is obviously a very wealthy suburb. It's main street resembles Disney's Main Street USA and, honestly, lacked character. We stopped by a shop selling sunglasses as himself is in need of a pair but the price tag of nearly 300 bucks scared him off and we beat a hasty retreat back to the city itself - I strongly suspect somewhat speeded up by the imminent threat of yours truly wanting to spend some money!!!
After a quick sandwich we returned to our early morning folly - the National Archive. Famous not only for Nicholas Cave stealing the Declaration but also for holding the originals of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. In spite of the by now obligatory parties of school children we fought through to view the originals, all accompanied by excellent commentaries on their origins and development. Another excellent experience without a doubt. The gift shop was interesting. I was hoping for a tea towel emblazoned with the Constitution. No chance. I thought the fridge magnet was imaginative though. Even with my newest Specsavers prescription there's no chance of me reading anything that small. The cash in his lordship's wallet was safe once again.
One last trip on the trolley and we decided to end the day with a longish walk to take in a view of the south side of the White House for a photo opportunity as yet elusive. Today it was HOT in Washington, easily mid to high 70s and it was a close call but too good an opportunity to miss. Well fortune certainly favours the brave (not to mention the hot, sweaty and, by now, rather smelly). As we approached the White House a large fire truck screamed up, sirens blaring. The next thing we knew Marine One was giving into view. Down it came on the south lawn - believe me we have many photos too prove it- in the distance a couple of pairs of feet could just about be identified under the aircraft and then off it flew again. Now I write this it sounds anti climactic but at the time I was really quite excited .I suspect this means I'm rather sad and lonely and very easily pleased...
We ended our day with a walk back you the WWII memorial, along the Pool of Reflection and back too the Korean memorial - the one which had impressed us both the most in this couple of days.
Tomorrow we leave Washington to hire a car and head for colonial Williamsburg. I leave Washington having fallen more than a little in love with this city in which we have walked both day and night and at no point have I felt even slightly unsafe. The people here have been amazingly friendly and welcoming. I doubt we will ever be in a position to return but if we were I would do so in a heartbeat.
The rest of our trip has so much to look forward to but for now I bid a fond goodbye to Washington and thank it for its wonderful hospitality.
Prior to our departure another thought for the day from our sponsor....
E PLURIBUS UNUM. Out of many , one. USA dictum. Attending a presentation about the history of the Capitol building we Brits were named and shamed as vandals who burnt the building in 1812. I did apologise but might have blotted my copybook somewhat by checking my pockets for matches.
Oops!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb