New Castle, DE


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Delaware » Wilmington
September 6th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday, Sept 5

It was a foggy morning in Onancock, VA. In fact the schools were delayed two hours because of the fog. I took a morning walk from our B&B down to the docks. There are five churches along the main street.

Breakfast was omelets made from fresh eggs provided by the ladies in the chicken coop in the backyard. The meal was delicious - but a lot more than we needed.

As we drove north up the Delmarva, we took several small roads through the countryside and lots of corn fields and soybeans. There were fishermen at all the tidal creeks near the coast.

We stopped in the historic district of New Castle, DE. My father’s mother’s family, the Petermans, have one branch that came into New Castle from Sweden in the 1600’s. The public restrooms were impossible for Mother to walk to. So, we stopped at a small shop that sells drinks, snacks & ice cream - mainly to use their facilities. It turns out that the place is called the Three Crowns - for the three countries that counted Delaware as a colony - Sweden, The Netherlands & England. They have special flavors of ice cream in celebration of each crown. I had some of the ligonberry vodka ice cream for Sweden. Mother stayed in the shop while I walked around the town to see where William Penn first came to America, the old buildings, cobblestone street & cemetery.

By the time we left New Castle, we were in the heavy Friday afternoon traffic from Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia, PA. We stopped for the night at the New Hope in the Woods Motel, New Hope, PA. It looks like tropical storm Hannah will catch up with us tonight. Tomorrow will be driving in the rain, but the winds and the amount of rain are not supposed to be extreme from the forcast.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb