My favorite spots in Delaware


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Delaware » Rehoboth Beach
January 28th 2016
Published: January 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It may be the second smallest state in the United States, but Delaware packs a punch when it comes to vacationing.

The first time I ventured to Delaware was to explore the beaches. Since I’m from Pennsylvania, the drive was relatively easy and only took about three hours until we reached Rehoboth. I’ve been to numerous beaches on the East Coast, and not many rival this part of Delaware. Rehoboth has a ton of artsy shops, a nice boardwalk and I absolutely loved how clean it was.

At one end of the boardwalk, you’ll find Cape Henlopen, which is a beautiful state park. Whether you enjoy camping, surfing, fishing or just riding around on your bike, it’s a great setting to explore. If you’re into geocaching, it’s also ideal. Parking is really affordable in this area, and some private beaches only charge $5 or $10 a carload for access to the beach for the entire day.

Every year, I make the migration to Delaware in June for the Firefly Music Festival. This festival was the first I ever went to, and I can’t keep myself from going back! We were fortunate enough to meet some people who quickly turned into friends, and the music experience is phenomenal. Firefly Music Festival has really grown over the last two or three years, but it’s still a very well organized experience for any age.

While there is camping and glamping available for Firefly, you can also stay at Dover Downs if you want a real shower and more privacy. Trust me, after four days, a real shower is truly a prized possession.

If you’re not into the beach or music scene, Delaware can still be for you. Wilmington is home to the Nemours Mansion and Gardens, which was once a DuPont family estate. The mansion was constructed in the early 1900s and is home to some of the most well-manicured lawns and gardens in the United States. You’ll feel like royalty as you take a tour of the mansion. Just be sure to check the tour schedule to ensure it’s open when you’re visiting.

New York might have some great wineries, but Delaware makes its own case for good vineyards and, as a bonus, distilleries. Nassau Valley Vineyards is Delaware’s first farm winery, and its locally sourced and vineyard-grown fruit makes for some high-quality wine. If you’re more in the mood for beer, Dogfish Head is a must-stop location for any beer connoisseur. The Delaware location is where Dogfish got its start.

My suggestion is to feel free to explore when you’re in Delaware. You never know what cozy restaurant you’ll stumble upon, and the people are as friendly as they come. Delaware is a great place to visit regardless of your hobbies and tastes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb