Az Der Rebbe Zingt...And the Rebbe Sings...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
August 6th 2017
Published: August 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

"Az der rebbe zingt...And when the rebbe sings..." is the title of a moderately well-known Yiddish song created originally by the opponents of Hasidism in Eastern Europe to mock the Hasids who followed their rebbe in ways that suggested unthinking devotion. But the Hasidim found the song delightful, not in the least because it indicated that their critics and rivals were paying attention to them and their ways. The song caught on. It's been passed down through the generations and across the ocean to a remote part of northwestern Connecticut. On a recent Shabbat evening I found myself at Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center singing it gustily in the company of a spirited fellowship of comrades in prayer, song, study, and friendship, all of us part of Jewish Renewal's Davennin' Leadership Training Institute (DLTI for short). Imagine the following scene: Gathering in a very large living room with a couple of sofas and lots of armchairs, dozens of Shabbat candles gently shimmering on a nearby table, a few guitars and a variety of drums, sharing each other's company late into the night, singing together, listening to stories, and celebrating upcoming weddings with a few dances. Tunes sung in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish. In the circle of generous companionship, a glimpse of the best aspects of being human reveal themselves. Core Jewish traditions, grounded in millennia of practice, and in particular Shabbat as a time of joy and rest, creatively adapt to new environments. It is fairly certain that the Hasids of the Old World who embraced "An Der Rebbe Zingt" might be bewildered if they found themselves among the 30 men and women reinventing their song for a bunch of 21st century Jews. I hope, however, that like the story recorded in the Talmud of Moshe being sent into the future and unable to understand the Torah teaching of Rabbi Akiva, needing to be reassured by God that it was indeed "Torah from Sinai" being taught, these teleported Hasidim would be reassured that despite the very different surroundings, Torah continues to be valued and celebrated.

This is my third week of participation in the prayer leadership intensives. Each time in attendance, I experience the sensation of jumping daringly off of rocks into freshwater below (not too far below, but just far enough for the thrill) with a group of dear companions alongside of me. Somewhere in my own past I retain a sensation of the excitement, challenge, pleasure, and freedom of such a leap that carries over to the time at DLTI at Isabella Freedman. The setting is not always perfect - the rocks might be a bit craggy, the water a tad too cold, and yet the natural and human landscape carries the moment throughout. The invigorating rush of knowing that individually and collectively we can generate and sustain connectedness to spirit, to nature, to humanity, to creativity in all its divine manifestations, is irresistible. At least to me. We spend the week in a focused and concentrated deep practice of prayer and chant, learning through doing and listening. At times, to be truthful, the efforts and intensity overwhelm me physically, spiritually, and emotionally. In those moments, I turn to the natural setting, to the lush green trees, the calm pond, and the silence in the early morning and late at night. I also turn to my peers, to hear their stories, discover their yearnings, and build bonds of respect and affection. Although each of us carry the many adult responsibilities and cares we live with even at a retreat, in this rather unique setting I find comfort and sustenance in encountering so many adventurous and creative souls. To be in such company gives me the energy to return to the world as it exists, to contribute in the small ways that are possible to its redemptive transformation.

The high point of these weeks is the twenty five hours of Shabbat. It is hard to describe the delight of stepping into the sanctuary for Friday evening services as the sun starts its descent, a space transformed for the sole purpose of welcoming the Sabbath Bride. To gather with a cohort of adults who are all "dressed up" in our Shabbat finery. After a full week of being serious learners and teachers, we collectively leave behind the work and enter into joy. Phones disappear, computers disconnect, and we find time to look into each other's eyes, to see one another with heightened vision and to hear each other's voices in a melodious key. Even for those of us who may have a regular kind of Shabbat practice at home, this kind of collaborative embrace spins its own distinctive aura. Jewish tradition says that every Shabbat gives us an invitation to taste spiritually of the Garden of Eden, and even of a redeemed World to Come - in other words, existence as peace and harmony. To me, sitting with my peers, singing Az Der Rebbe Zingt in a corner of northwestern Connecticut on a summer Shabbat night fulfills that promise. May it be that I am able to bring a flavor of it home with me.

Here are links to the videos of An Der Rebbe Zingt - including a moving solo by Leonard Cohen!

">


http://cohencentric.com/2017/03/15/leonard-cohen-in-rare-performance-of-un-as-der-rebbe-singt/

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb