New York & Canada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
September 21st 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,
Sunday, 9/17:
Yesterday we drove miles and miles (actually kilometers & kilometers..about 300 of them)¡¦just stopping at tag sales and Antique shops. Southern Ontario is beautiful¡¦¡¦the farms & houses are interspersed¡¦.and everyone¡¯s house is just perfectly landscaped with lots of Impatiens, Petunias, Sunflowers and Canna lilies. Along the roadside, tons of Goldenrod is beautifully intermixed with purple Aster. We came back along the shores of Lake Erie (pic attd).
Today we drove about as far, but in a different direction¡¦.we ended up at an apple festival. It was a gorgeous day¡¦.close to 80¢ª. We drove by a HUGE patch of sunflowers in someone¡¯s yard. Jenn, I thought of you immediately and made Jim pull off the road so I could take pictures. I hope everyone enjoys the pics¡¦but Jenn, honey, they are for you!
Tomorrow we plan to go to Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side.
Yesterday, Tuesday, 9/19, we drove into Niagara Falls as planned¡¦we drove in along the Niagara Falls Parkway, which runs right along the Niagara River right up to the Falls. It¡¯s beautiful (and for some reason, there is NO traffic). I took a picture of a typical house here
For JennFor JennFor Jenn

Jenn, honey...these are for you!!!
in Niagara (just kidding about the typical, but this is what a lot of the houses along this parkway look like!
We took many MORE pictures of the falls including one from the ¡®Incline¡¯ which is a ride from the street level down to the falls (beautiful view). You guys will probably tire of looking at all this water¡¦but believe me, this is just a small sampling of the pics we have. We went shopping in the ¡®tourist¡¯ section of Niagara Falls (didn¡¯t buy anything), but had lunch at Tony Roma¡¯s restaurant (Although Tim Horton¡¯s seems to be big here¡¦.it seems like there is one on every block! We visited the two casinos in town and Jim doubled his money (always a good thing).
Today, Wednesday, is house cleaning & laundry day (even away from home)¡¦.it¡¯s a bit rainy today, so it¡¯s a good chance to get things done. Actually, as I am typing this, the sun is coming out (good thing the housework is already done)¡¦looks like we may be hitting the road again!
Yep¡¦.the sun came out and we took a ride¡¦.over to a neighboring city where we drove along the canals, went shopping at a mall, and stopped at a lock on a canal on the ride home. Tried to post this blog¡¦but for some reason, can¡¯t seem to ¡®stay¡¯ online. Will try again tomorrow!
WiFi seems to be working fine today¡¦.must be the wind we had yesterday evening! Today, Thursday, we again drove along Niagara Falls Parkway¡¦but this time we drove straight to the northern section of Ontario (following the winetrail all the way). Of course, we stopped at a number of wineries, did some ¡®wine tastings¡¯ and ¡®somehow¡¯ ended up with 5 bottles of wine by the time we were done! O : There is a small town, ¡®Niagara on the Lake¡¯ in northern Ontario, where we stopped at a park on the shore of Lake Ontario, and we had a picnic lunch. The town also has a lot of quaint shops (read expensive)¡¦nice little town to visit. We haven¡¯t done much shopping however¡¦Canada has a 7% Province tax AND an 8% Government tax on most purchases!
Will write again soon,
Linda



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

'typi cal house''typi cal house'
'typi cal house'

Just kidding...this is just an example though (Jim particularly liked this one)...there are a few larger ones that actually look more like 'mini castles' than single family homes!
Horseshoe Falls view from Horseshoe Falls view from
Horseshoe Falls view from

from the 'Incline' it looks like the water (it's the Horseshoe falls) is just dropping into a big hole in the ground!!
'Maid of the Mist' from Canada'Maid of the Mist' from Canada
'Maid of the Mist' from Canada

....this is where everyone starts to get soaked from all that mist!
Car going up towerCar going up tower
Car going up tower

At the top of this tower is a 'revolving restaurant'..you can take this (yellow) car up to the top if you want (we don't want!)
flowers in front of a restaurantflowers in front of a restaurant
flowers in front of a restaurant

I just thought they were beautiful!
in Rose gardenin Rose garden
in Rose garden

I saw this rose in the Rose Garden at Niagara Falls...and just thought it was pretty enough to share!
Jim in front of the fountain....Jim in front of the fountain....
Jim in front of the fountain....

...inside of the Falls Casino!


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb