Prospect, Connecticut, With the Wakehams


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
October 7th 2009
Published: October 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The biggest pumpkinThe biggest pumpkinThe biggest pumpkin

A state record!
25th-28th September

So to our fist experience of bus travel in the USA, we arrived at the bus station an hour before scheduled departure time, found the check in desk only to be told our reference number was an old one, but no worries it would still work! However the lady bluntly told us that the bus schedule had changed, we asked when the next bus was and luckily for us it was half an earlier. Relieved we set off to find the gate which was right next to the one for New York, this proved to be a little confusing as the queuing system for the Greyhound buses is rather disorganized. The bus journey went fine and we through some pretty scenery as all the leaves were changing colour.

We were met in Waterbury by Catherine and Bevin (Rachel’s cousin and her daughter). That evening we ate pizza and had a few beers before retreating to bed at a very respectable 10.30pm. In the morning we had coffee crumb cake and a New York deli sandwich (egg, sausage and cheese) for breakkie, and spent the morning playing horse shoes (similar to hoop-la) in the garden. In the afternoon we set off to Durham Fair, the largest country fair in Connecticut. We saw the largest pumpkin growing competition, one of which had broken the state record! There were a variety of animals including alpacas, sheep, cows and goats. There was also a huge array, and I mean HUGE array of junk food! Deep fried Oreos, battered vegetables, battered onions and almost any other type of food that was created to shorten your life expectancy by at least half.

There were displays of horse pulling, tractor pulling, exhibits of tractors cars and other machinery and Bevin really enjoyed the fairground (as did Ken!). All in all a very enjoyable afternoon, with added enjoyment and privilege of being commuted to and from the fair by a traditional yellow school bus! On return to Catherine and Kens we stopped and picked some beers and with Bevin in bed we sat outside and drank beers and $50 bottles of wine until midnight. A real good eve and better still we slept a dream!

Sunday morning awoke with a slight headache (not alcohol induced mind!) and with it forecast to rain all day (which it did) we spent the day relaxing and searching for the possibilities of car deliveries (all shut over the weekend, grrr!). We then decided to go for a walk to see if a nearby coffee house was open, couldn’t help but notice, as mentioned in Bill Bryson’s book, Americans drive everywhere. I understand it was raining slightly but I mean literally no one walking anywhere and more still no pavements!

When we got back ken took us for a practice drive in his car on American roads providing us with the relevant handy tips i.e. turning right on a red light. We had a yummy tea (thanks Ken!) and that evening Rachel and Catherine watched a movie whilst Doddy and Ken drank some beers and played darts.

Next morning we packed and with farewells to Ken and Bevin Catherine took us to New Haven to catch to 11.20 bus t New York. Did we remember to pick up the tent up from the cupboard at Catherine and Kens, Which Bowks had pointed out only the night before ‘we mustn’t forget to pick up the tent in the morning’? Of course we didn’t! Damm! But we arranged with Catherin with her to post it on to us so no big drama. Bus departed on time ready for our journey to the Big Apple, New York City!


Lots of love

Doddy and Bowks
xxx

PS Having a struggle finding internet access in the States (everywhere has WiFI but thats no good if you don't have you're own laptop! More blog entries and photos to follow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

UnhappyUnhappy
Unhappy

Just realised we'd forgotten the tent!


7th October 2009

Ha!
Deep fried Orio cookies?! You can't blame that on the Scots!

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb