Our Cross-Country RV adventure to Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut
February 1st 2006
Published: February 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

1/20 - Friday
The RV’s are really starting to come in now. I am attaching two pictures…one that I posted before everyone started arriving and one that shows what our ‘site’ looks like right now. Tomorrow the big RV & vacation show opens (the ‘Hoopla’, as my neighbor calls it!). There are lots of vendors here now and a lot of things to buy (we bought a couple of rugs for our RV…to put on top of our carpeting, entering into the livingroom and a small one ontop of the hardwood floor in front of the kitchen sink, to keep it clean…also it looks more ‘homey’).
It looks like 2 months is (more than) Jim’s limit in the desert. We arrived here on 12/20 and we are talking about leaving, perhaps around 2/13! Our original plans were to stay until the 1st of March. We are told that the RV show opening tomorrow will have about 2/3 vendors advertising places to visit. We are hoping that we can get some information about Texas and Mexico. We have been to Aldodones, Mexico once already and plan to go back one more time. Everyone here goes there for their eyeglasses (titanium frames & progressive lenses for $100+) and dental work (cleanings for $20. & root canals & crowns for $250.). The dentists get their training in the U.S. then go back to Mexico (just over the border)..to work (only on Americans). They only take U.S. dollars. They have up-to-date equipment, it’s really amazing. And the Pharmacies….Jim & I have a good prescription plan….but most retirees don’t…and they get their prescriptions at about half price at the Pharmacies in Mexico. I have attached a couple of photos from Algodonus, Mexico.

1/31 - Tuesday
We went to the RV show everyday last week, except Sat. & Sun. We bought a ‘telescoping’ flagpole that we have attached to the ladder of our RV and a ‘windspinner’ that spins with the breeze. Also, we bought some mechanical stuff…(Jim said we needed)…something about 'upgrading' the suspension on the RV. They did have limited access to the internet..and Jim and I were able to make online reservations to Las Vegas. It is about a 4 hour drive. We will be driving up in the truck (leaving the RV here…our neighbors will keep an eye on it), and staying at the Excalibur Hotel on the strip, for just a few days. We have stayed there several times before, and while it is not a new hotel, it’s clean, offers a large room and large bathroom and has a convenient location. We will be leaving here on Sunday, 2/6 and will be back here on Thursday, 2/9. We will probably leave here the following week.
Jim was able to rent a space (not in the RV show)…but alongside the other merchants outside, at a reasonable price on Sat & Sun., to try to sell some of our stuff (Jim brought some ‘tag sale items’ from home…and I brought my craft items (crocheted blankets, dolls, ponchos & towels). Picture attached. I thought the regular vendors, who are there trying to make a living, would resent us being there….but they were actually very nice and friendly. Tomorrow starts the ‘craft show’ ‘til the end of the week and the ‘auto show’ will be on Sat. & Sun.
Rob (my terrific son) was absolutely wonderful, as usual, and sent me a ‘wireless’ card for my laptop. So, I can now update my travelblog right from my own laptop, providing I can find a ‘hotspot’ (no more long waits at the local library, phew)!
Also, I'm including a picture of one of our hummingbirds at our feeder (just for fun)
Goodbye for now…..I will post again when I can.
Linda


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb