Avon Cider Mill


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » Avon
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Avon Cider MillAvon Cider MillAvon Cider Mill

Big Red Barn built in 1918
While driving through the town of Avon we could not miss stopping by the Cider Mill. When we pulled into the graveled parking lot, we could already smell the fragrance of springs flowers and plants. There were red wagons parked in a row just as we entered. Customers were stocking up on their annuals; therefore, there were wagons of flowers and bags of soil all around us.
When we walked into the big red barn, which was built in 1918, we immediately felt the cool breeze that circulated over the fresh produce. The air carried the scent of fresh made pies, cookies, fudge, and dessert loaves among others, that turned into a sweet and uplifting aroma. We wished we could sit at a table and eat it there. The idea, though tempting, was put off by the fact that there were no tables!
I could see how the atmosphere brings consumers here just as much as the products. There were shelves of local jams, honey, syrup, and dressings to name a few. As we took our time, it crossed my mind how having a choice to purchase what we wanted separately as an alternative to having bought a bag of “mystery”
flower, vegetables, etc.flower, vegetables, etc.flower, vegetables, etc.

These are a couple of rows we passed to go into the barn
fruit (You know, some are crisp, some are bruised, and some are mushy with no hope for freshness.) really makes this experience more enjoyable, instead of a chore. Here we were, having fun food shopping and picking out exactly the right items on our list.
I now bring my boys in after school sometimes, for a little treat of some kind. They have small fudge squares, candies, and homemade peanut brittle, to name a few. The selection does vary from time to time. So, when those Carmel Apples come in, we know we had better buy them!
While on our visit, we spent around twenty dollars, and left with fruit, vegetables, honey, and dessert. This local gem is an essential landmark that is coming up on its 90th year and adds to the pleasurable atmosphere that is Avon.

Avon Cider Mill is located at:
57 Waterville Rd.
Avon, Ct, 06001
(Close to the 44/ Main St.)
(860) 677-0343



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb