Telluride, CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Telluride
October 10th 2007
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


My top 3 vacations were:
1. Telluride, CO
2. Siolim, Goa
3. Chail, Shimla

Telluride, CO:

We drove to Telluride from Phoenix first week of October. Ideally, this is not a journey you want to drive. It goes through the infamous highway 666 in the Navajo ntion. And as luck would have it, we ran into car trouble in the middle of the desert. The drive took us through Tuba - an interesting place with a lot of pre-historic sites, including a dinosaurs foot print.

Our car trouble saw us stop over at Farmington. Farmington on a Saturday evening is rather dead. We had dinner at the RiverWalk (Best Western), a fairly good place.

The next day we drove through Colorado country. This is a beautiful part of the United States. That we were driving through Fall colors made it even better. The road to Telluride goes along the Dolores river - and it’s a beautiful drive all the way through.

We stayed at the Hotel Telluride. Our hostess Krista was really friendly and upgraded our room. The Hotel Telluride is a little pricey but a great place to stay in. All amenities in place, including a heated Jacuzzi. And its dog-friendly.

There is no need to drive around in Telluride. Its all either walk or hitch a ride on the electric shuttles that ply the town. You actually get used to not having to reach for your car keys every time you step out of home.

Stop at the Station Telluride to get on to the gondola. The gondola is a free service that pretty much takes you up another 1500 feet to 8000 feet and connects Teulluride to the mountain village.

There’s plenty of stuff to do in Telluride. Pick a map and start walking the trails. My favorite was Bear Creek Trail. It ends in a waterfall. There are river walks as well. Close to the Station Telluride is a bicycle rental. You can get good mountain bikes for a steal.

There are places around Telluride that people visit. Ourey is one of them. It has a distinct European flavor.

We spent 5 days here. I could have spent another 2 weeks without missing Phoenix.

My pictures are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Sumant.Shankar/Telluride




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pic of townPic of town
Pic of town

This is a picture of town The Thai food here is Yum!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb